Author Topic: Side Window Sealant  (Read 12848 times)

Keith Oliver

Re: Side Window Sealant
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 07:15:48 PM »
Ed:
You will need to remove the whole window assembly, then take out the screws that hold the mullions in place, and the strap that holds the main frame together, pull the frame apart enough to pop out the window needing repair.
You can tell whether any of your windows have been done before:  The original seal (if SE-GI) is black and has a wavy top surface, bumps every 3/8 inch or so.  The replacement will be different.  If a Root kit, it is grey and smooth, actually looks slightly smaller.
The job isn't difficult, but you will need a helper to get the assembly down to the ground, and to put it back in place.  I got a pair of suction handles at Harbor Freight ($15. total) and had my wife hold onto the one on the inside after I loosened the window, then from the outside, I got most of the weight of the assembly and we lowered it together onto the top of my 5 ft ladder.  Easy after that.  

Edward Buker

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the info. If someone has removed or replaced the small sliding window from within the driver seat side window let me know the trick....

later Ed

Keith Oliver

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 07:26:36 PM »
Ed:  The slider is the same size glass as the one it slides over, so you have to go through the same removal process to get it out, The mullion between the slider and the fixed window has to come out, so the whole assembly has to come out first.  Not like a house window at all.

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 04:38:19 AM »
Keith, unfortunately, we cannot but into the age thing at all relative to creeping window seals. Our 98 Patriot SSI windows started creeping in 2000.  No fogging in any window; but, in the past 3 years virtually all of the fixed windows (the ones that don't slide) have creeped badly or starting to. In January of 2013, we had the four windows in the living room/kitchen area only repaired at Suncoast in Hudson, FL. They are a good company as reported elsewhere. Their new prices are $250 per window now. We plan to not fix the others but my main point here is that after fifteen years, many of our windows have just started to have the seals creep and only recently which turns out to be twelve years or so after date of manufacture!

Sorry to pour fuel on the fire but we were told the same thing years ago but this has just not been the result in our case.

Larry
Larry Fritz

Keith Oliver

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »
Larry
Too bad.  Now you will be watching the sliders carefully too.  Wonder why they were not affected so far?  Mine were all equal opportunity defects.

Edward Buker

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 02:11:11 PM »
Larry and Keith,

I went and checked my seal appearance between the panes and it was as Keith described with the ridges every 3/8ths or so in the sealant so I believe they are original. Mine are beginning to show some signs and the slider has the disease. My problem looks like it will follow what Larry is seeing with the 10-12 year onset.

Later Ed

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 04:14:35 PM »
Guys,

Mine were not too bad when I bought the coach.  The worse was the drivers window but no fogging.  From the folks that repaired them, it is only a matter of time before they fail as a result of the way the were manufactured.  The were installed with a vacuum instead of very light pressure.  Changes in heat, humidity and direct sun can be the culprit as well as the type seal that was used.
Anyway, mine now look great but I know I have a few more to go once they start creeping.