Author Topic: Spare parts kit  (Read 9587 times)

John Padmore

Spare parts kit
« on: April 03, 2013, 03:46:18 PM »
Being new to motorhomes I was wondering what spare parts are recommended to carry when travelling. I would assume a spare belt and maybe a couple of filters along with a decent set of tools. Any recommendations are appreciated....thanks.

John 8)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:39:12 PM by 13829 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Spare parts kit
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 09:36:33 PM »
Although I don't carry them myself because they get changed annually and get little mileage, most experienced club members would have extra primary and secondary fuel filters on board.  Many also have a spare alternator, and of course a belt;  I think the alternator, being commonly abused from poor dry camp practices, may be your best item to have a spare for, aside from fuel filters.  And know ahead of time how to switch filters, so you don't have trouble with trapped air in the lines, etc.

Additionally, you might want some top-up fluids such as ELC or regular coolant, engine oil, a gallon of boiler fluid for the hydronic unit, a gallon of bug-off windshield washer fluid, and perhaps oil, coolant, and filters for your generator, because sometimes Cummins/Onan retailers are few and far between, depending on where you expect to travel.  Some may have extra hydraulic fluid too.  

Certainly, you could stock up with spare hardware and fluid for every component that uses them, but on my rig that would tax my storage space, so I think each of us has to make yea or nea decisions here according to our space and pocketbook, and perhaps how often we are in the boonies, say in the West or traveling to Alaska.

I'm sure others here carry all sorts of other backups, and will chime in.  I've heard of fellows that carry air filters and tires, but those things eat up a ton of storage.  A few things inside the coach have given me grief, so I've stocked up on the spindles that secure window shade strings at the bottom, halogen bulbs for the round ceiling spots, and cabinet catches for doors and drawers.

Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

John Padmore

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Thank you Joel for the detailed answer as always. There are certainly more spare fluids that I will need to keep than the boat I owned for so many years. Once I understand how all of these systems work I think I will understand more of what I will need. Thanks again!....

John 8)

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 11:29:32 PM »
I'm probably a lone wolf here but I don't carry any spares other than some fuids.  Thought about it but figured if I broke down on the road it nothing I would wish to tackle on the shoulder and a call to Coach-net would be in order.  I thought about a spare belt but on the C-12 it doesn't do anything critical that I can see....just drive the alternator and AC compressor and, while a nuiscance nothing one can't live without for a bit but running the genset.

On our boat I had a ton of spares and they were all still there when I sold it.  The only parts I ever needed were the ones I didn't have.

So, I guess you would say my spare parts kit is the Coach-net card and a credit card.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 01:04:23 AM »
Spare parts list.....
Oil
Hydraulic fluid
Spare belt in case it's hot
Spare plumbing parts
Relays and fuses
Extra crown royal

That's about it......

Joel Weiss

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 02:35:13 AM »
I carry a spare primary and secondary fuel filters because the Racor primary is not that easy to find locally; there is no CAT equivalent.  I probably don't need to have the CAT secondary, but for <$20 why not?  It's a fact of life that you can ruin a fuel filter from a single tank of fuel; it's not likely but IMHO this is cheap protection.

I already had a spare belt and they're only ~$35 online.  I figure that I'd still call Coachnet but a tech could put on any of these items and get me on my way a lot faster than having to go back to get parts.  I don't believe in carrying too much repair inventory, but we like to go off-the-beaten path where there's not always a well-stocked NAPA or equivalent.  

In an recent thread several people sort of dismissed my comment on how long it took to locate a replacement belt in a major metro area.  Given that it is a belt the primary fitment for which are >10 yr-old Ford heavy trucks, I think that finding them will over time become more difficult.  Similarly, the last time I needed a Parker/Racor replacement item it cost me $75 to overnight a $30 item.   For folks that stay in and around their homes maybe having the MH out of service for a few days or a week awaiting parts isn't a big deal; for full-timers it can be more of a nuisance.  I don't think carrying a few spares to be an extravagant expenditure.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 06:14:55 AM »
John,
I have been a fulltimer in my 2000 Marquis for nine years and I have had two occasions where I had to change the secondary fuel filter beside the road. That is one item that I would not be without.

Gerald

Richard Cooper

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 12:20:25 AM »
How much does it cost to buy an alternator for the C-12?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 07:36:55 AM »
Richard,
The cost of an alternator varies with where you buy it and whether you buy new, rebuilt, or used. The spare that I bought was a take off (used). I installed it on the coach when I purchased it to check it out, and carried my newly rebuilt unit as a spare for about 7 years until it failed last year. I paid $150 for it.

Gerald  

Richard Cooper

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 12:47:59 AM »
Seems like I would be better off to just simply go ahead now and replace the alternator I have now --- for peace of mind.  Then are you suggesting I have the previous one rebuilt and carry it as a spare?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:58:21 AM by 7165 »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 03:23:00 AM »
I just went to six places to get this well known item.  I couldn't believe it was so hard to find.  I found one at one mini-mart and had to settle for two not-quite-what-I-wanted at another mini-mart.   I checked my batteries because I am boondocking for a few days, and have been running my generator a couple hours every day.  I am putting this item on my spare parts list - probably four of them!

Gallon jugs of distilled water.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Richard Cooper

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 07:57:55 AM »
I carry 6 gallon jugs of distilled water at most all times.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 03:33:53 AM »
If you check your batteries monthly, you should only need to carry one to two gallons of distilled water.  Most Wal Marts carry distilled water.  If they don't almost all grocery stores have it.
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Dick Simonis

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »
Speaking of batteries, have you looking into the pro-fill battery watering system.  Just hooked mine up last week and it's amazing.