Author Topic: MCD questions  (Read 4328 times)

Jim Gill

MCD questions
« on: April 05, 2013, 08:17:58 PM »
John/Linda
I just met with an MCD dealer in Phoenix about having a new MCD shade system installed on the front windshield of our 2006 Monterey. Since these folks talked about some major "woodwork" being required between the windshield and the factory electric shades in order for the new MCD shade to fit correctly, I'm curious to know what was required on your coach. My objective with adding the MCD stuff is to get a tight fit against both A-pillars and to have the shades controlled remotely but I'm not certain how much "customizing" I want to do. If possible, a few pix of your MCD installation would help. I'm not certain but I think the front cap on a 2003 Marquis is the same as on our 2006 Monterey so the installation process should be similar.

Thanks in advance and regards,
Jim  

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
Re: MCD questions
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 08:30:53 PM »
It wasn't a major deal at all. The installer we had in indio made a valance and covered it in a vinyl that matched the dash.
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Jim Gill

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 08:33:10 PM »
John/Linda
Did you end up with a tight fit against both A-pillars? Since you lost the use of the original factory shades for driving, how do the MCD units work for this purpose?

Thanks,
Jim

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 12:03:15 AM »
Hey Jim, I was talking to Jim Siezemore, from RV outfitters in Bend Oregon about the shade conversion , and he said that he spaces the side pillar covers out slightly and sizes the blinds to ride on them perfectly, I know he's not that close to you but he is a nice guy and would probably answer all your questions, he quoted me around $2400.00 to install the dual front shades, valance and two manual side blinds. $ 750.00 for the front blinds un-installed.

Dave

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 12:43:06 AM »
Yes we have a tight fit against the a pillars of the windshield. On the drivers side we have one of those shades that move down at an angle.  When driving we put the blackout shade down just like the original shades but it works better because there are no gaps
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Orman Claxton

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 05:30:37 AM »
We have  the 2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna We just had MCD shades installed in Yuma,Dash shades are motorized, all others are manual
Shades were installed by RV  Decor of Yuma.
Shades can be adjusted for driving, but will move only so far with Ignition in the on position.
I must say they do make quite a difference, very satisfied with installation.

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 06:08:03 AM »
Orman, can you post a picture of your new shades?  

Keith Oliver

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 09:38:38 PM »
John:

Could you put up a picture or drawing of the drivers side shade? I am curious how they were made to move at an angle.

I had MCDs put in in Indio in March.  I am presently building new valances and am struggling with the design for the drivers side.  When I asked Cy, the installer, he told me he couldn't install that shade at an angle, so I would need to live with a gap at the lower front.  I am not happy to do that, so am trying to build a valance that will both fill the gap and not interfere with visibility from the driver's seat.