Author Topic: SHURFLO WATER PUMP  (Read 6858 times)

George Harwell

SHURFLO WATER PUMP
« on: November 06, 2009, 01:04:40 AM »
My original shurflo water pump is noisy and getting old so I am researching my options. The present pump is a 3.5 gpm 45 psi and I am looking at the SHURFLO SMART SENSOR 4.0. Supposed to be much quiter and provide better pressure. Read some pretty bad ratings on the smart sensor 7.5 so would like to get comments on the 4.0 before I jump in with both feet. THANKS!

Gerald Farris

Re: SHURFLO WATER PUMP
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 03:11:53 AM »
I have installed one of the Shurflo Smart Sensor 4.0 pumps in a late model Contessa to replace a problematic Aquajet pump. The Shurflo pump was quiet and it supplied a very  adequate flow of water with one faucet open.

Since you did not say what coach you have, I do not know what pump you have now or how much clearance you have for the new pump. One thing that is a problem on some coaches is clearance, so be careful to measure the new pump to insure that it will fit in the mounting location as the Shurflo pump is larger than most older pumps.

Gerald

PS. It is very helpful if you give the year and model coach that you own.

Don Voss

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 07:59:49 AM »
I am replacing the Aquajet on my 2004 Marquis with a 7.5 Shurflo. It appears to be too large for the space.  Looks like I won't be able to close the access panel once installed.  I could probably route out where the pump contacts the panel.  I started to replace it the other day and thought I had drained all of the faucets.  When I started to remove the old pump water poured out of the supply end into pan I had waiting just in case.  It went of for some time and I gave up and put the old pump back on.  I was wondering if I am getting a siphon off the 3/4 full fresh water tank?  Am I going to have to drain the fresh waster tank?

Don

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 03:19:09 PM »
Don,
As I said in my previous post, the Shurflo pumps have a clearance problem on some coaches. Some owners that wanted a Shurflo pump regardless have cut out the compartment cover to allow for the Shurflo pump's larger size. The Aquajet or the Flojet variable speed pumps should both fit into your compartment, but measure for clearance before you purchase them.

As for the water flow when the pump is removed, it is from the fresh water tank. The fresh water tank is above the pump on almost all coaches, and it will drain through the supply line to the pump if it is disconnected. If you are not dry camping, just turn off the campground water supply and drain the fresh water tank, and you can take your time to change the pump. If you are dry camping, you have to "hot swap" the pump very quickly to prevent loosing your water supply.

Gerald
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:42:40 PM by 235 »

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 04:57:14 PM »
To increased the clearance, I added a 1 x 2 around the edge of the box and relocated the fasteners for the door.  The increased box depth was not a problem in the bay, and gave enough clearance for the pump.  If you do not have flexible hoses between the pump and the connecting pipes (plastic), this would be a good time to add them.  Flex hoses help reduce the noise of the pump. They are available at most RV supply stores that sell pumps.  After installing the flex hose, you can just pinch the hose to shut off the water while installing the pump.

Larry
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 02:51:27 AM by 14 »

George Harwell

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 02:14:11 PM »
Shurflo has a new pump called REVOLUTION that is a replacement for all 2088 series of pumps. Getting tired of the noise from the original pump in my 03 Monterey I replaced mine while in Florida this spring. I found it very much of an improvement in performance and noise. It provides 55 psi at 3 gpm and primes right away. Made me a happy camper.  Go to the SHURFLO website and you can read all about it by searching for SHURFLO REVOLUTION. The model # is 4008 and part # is 4008-101-A65(oem) or 4008-101-E65 (aftermarket) and it sells for around $100.