Author Topic: Installing ceiling fan  (Read 5325 times)

Bill Johnson

Installing ceiling fan
« on: April 06, 2013, 07:36:09 PM »
I am interested in installing a 12 volt ceiling fann in the bedroom of our 02 Patriot.  I think I can figure out how to string the wiring, but am not sure about ceiling supports for a fan.  I would appreciate any advice regarding such units and their installation.  Note, what I have looked at are the fans at allrvstuff.com.  They have a 12 volt 36 inch with remote for $140.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: Installing ceiling fan
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 03:38:23 AM »
I installed one in our bedroom. Because of slides on each side I had to center it with the air conditioner tunnel. There was a constant 12v w/ground at the A/C. Wireless remote is the only possible way to control the fan as you cannot get down the wall from the ceiling. I used stainless screws as they entered the duct and didn't want moisture to rust the screws. Also works wonders for my bride's hot flashes. You didn't hear that from me.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Bill Johnson

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:45:07 PM »
Jim,
Thanks for the suggestion.  I looked at the a/c chase and it certainly is solid enough.  Unfortunately, I have no wires running through it so I am going to have to search for another source for power.  Just when I think I've got something solved, yet another challenge presents itself.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 01:50:31 PM »
I mounted the fan were it would fit with slides in or closed. Then ran the power wires thru the chase  To the A/C and picked up 12v power.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Bill Johnson

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 10:37:41 PM »
Jim,
That's sounds better than what I was thinking of doing.  I didn't realize there was 12V with ground in the A/C.  I was about to give up the idea until you mentioned this possibility.