Author Topic: Daytime Running Lights  (Read 4375 times)

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
Daytime Running Lights
« on: April 11, 2013, 06:35:07 PM »
Advice or suggestions: to meet Canadian DRL law I'd like to render the driving light switch permanently 'on' such that they would then come on whenever the ignition switch is on. The default presently is 'on' when switch and ignition is 'on'.

Failing that, can anyone provide the part number on the Hamsar DRL module? Hamsar advisor just says contact manufacturer.
Thanks...
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Edward Buker

Re: Daytime Running Lights
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 07:58:43 PM »
Bob,

If you look for Roy's and Steve's headlight modification on Utube and this forum you can do the mod without any DRL module. You add a relay to power up the lights. It would then be a simple change to the procedure to just wire the trigger of the relay to any of the circuits powered by the right copper buss in the electrical bay. That buss is powered on with the ignition. Use the output end of any of the circuit breakers that are fed by that buss to feed the relay trigger. This can all be completed by some relatively simple wiring changes in that bay. The video part one and two links are below. If you can understand this modification video, then moving the trigger wire from the light switch feed to the buss circuit breaker should be easy enough.

http://youtu.be/fmYyoILEhMY  

http://youtu.be/pIXez9bQNY0

Later Ed

Keith Oliver

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:51:21 AM »
Bob:

Any Canadian Tire store will sell and install the DRL module.  The part was about $60 and the install was about $200 on mine.  They have plenty in stock at their larger stores.

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:23:56 AM »
Resolved the daytime running lights issue with very little effort and no cost. I just took the on/off switch for the driving lights out of the circuit. The driving lights now come on whenever the ignition switch is turned on.  This has to be at least as good the eyebrow array of LEDs on new Audis, Mercedes and Volvos.      8)

Eventually I may put lower wattage bulbs or LEDs in the driving lights.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Keith Oliver

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:25:14 PM »
If your DLs are anything like mine, they point down at the pavement about 10 ft ahead of the coach.  I remounted mine so they could be adjusted, but now they jiggle down and point to the same spot most of the time anyway.  They are at the very bottom of the quality range, unusual when compared with the usually good quality stuff put in by Beaver.