Author Topic: Racor R90T fuel filter  (Read 17173 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Racor R90T fuel filter
« on: April 16, 2013, 02:33:53 PM »
I'm trying to do some of my preventative maintenance myself this year, so I can learn in case of a problem on the road. Here is a picture of my fuel filter. Apparently, Racor is now a division of Parker Hannifan. I went to their website and clicked on where to buy in the Racor Division, added my zip code and the nearest distributor is in Chicago, about 115 miles away.

My local NAPA has the cross reference in stock. Your advice on staying with Racor or using the NAPA replacement?

By the way, my owner's manual says this part # is RaYcor 300200, which has Racor mis-spelled, and no one can find that part #.

As always, thanks for your help.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Sprague

Re: Racor R90T fuel filter
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 03:01:49 PM »
A Cat would probably yowl with a Cummins filter on it, but here is the Fleetguard equivalant and an easy way to order one.

http://www.amazon.com/Fleetguard-Fuel-Water-Sep-FS19551/dp/B001JPGKDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366120541&sr=8-1&keywords=Fleetguard+Fuel+Water+Sep+FS19551

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 03:29:06 PM »
Thanks for the information, Bill. Much appreciated. I hope you're going through the Beaver portal to Amazon! :)

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 03:38:38 PM »
Quote from: Stan Simpson
Thanks for the information, Bill. Much appreciated. I hope you're going through the Beaver portal to Amazon! :)

Stan
The link I gave you is through the Beaver portal!  I should add, that I put a "shopping list" together for all my filters on Amazon.  They were shipped by Amazon "affiliates" last year.  Washington State sales tax was not charged and all but one came with free ground shipping.  

The previous year I took my list to Tacoma's biggest filter supplier and they crossed everything to Baldwin.

If NAPA is convenient for you, I have never heard anyone say theirs are not of good quality.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 04:51:59 PM »

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 09:53:01 PM »
Stan,

I would not hesitate to buy any NAPA filter...  Joel is correct on the 300200 pre-filter.  I did not see the pre-filter in your picture, but could be located out of view.

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 02:03:24 AM »
Do I need to change this pre-filter? Assuming I can find it. Today I went to NAPA and got all the filters I need for the C-9 and the Onan 8.0 KW generator, including a spare fuel filter just in case. I want to change the Hydro-Hot filter as well, but NAPA had no cross reference for that part #Racor R2TRA000T. The NAPA counter sales guy said their filters were WIX.

Thanks for the help all.

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 02:33:10 PM »
Stan,

Yes, not sure which style filter you have but my Hydro-Hot filter is a WIX P/N 33583.  The Baldwin BF1380 will work for either style, because you do not need to reuse of clear bowl, if you have that style filter.  

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 03:44:59 PM »
Stan,
The Racor 300200 pre-filter Is a clear plastic cylinder with a screen wire insert. You can look at the screen and see if there is anything in it that will restrict fuel flow. It will normally only clog if you have microbial growth (diesel algae) in your tank. So if you are running clean fuel (no sticks, leaves, or algae), the 300200 pre-filter does not need to be changed. On most coaches it will need to be serviced once or twice in the life of the coach, not yearly.

Gerald      

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 04:48:04 PM »
Racor R90T filters can be purchased from Green Marine and Industrial Equipment Co.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 04:48:53 PM »
Quote from: Karl Welhart
Stan,

Yes, not sure which style filter you have but my Hydro-Hot filter is a WIX P/N 33583.  The Baldwin BF1380 will work for either style, because you do not need to reuse of clear bowl, if you have that style filter.  

Karl

Thank you for the information, Karl. I called NAPA, and they said WIX 33583 has a gaping hole in it where the water collector bowl attaches. They also said the Baldwin cross references to the same NAPA # as the WIX. Here is a picture of my Hydro-Hot filter. As you can see, it doesn't have a collector bowl. As soon as it stops raining, I'm going to twist if off enough so I can get a manufacturer's name and part #. These pictures were taken of inside the Hydro-Hot bay. I'm assuming its the only filter on that system, and its the one that needs to be changed annually.

2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »
Hydro Hot Filter update. I was able to get the filter loose. Its a Gar-Ber Residential fuel oil filter. The only identifying number is an R. Its made by General Filter of Seattle. I went to their website. Appears to be a filter used on residential oil heating systems. I called Aqua Hot and talked to a service technician who said that filter is a 10 micron filter and is the correct one for my model. I went to the Aqua Hot web page and clicked on the ordering tab for "annual maintenance parts" and there was a picture of my filter! Problem solved. Thank you to all for the help!
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Weiss

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 06:27:20 PM »
Quote from: Gerald Farris
Stan,
The Racor 300200 pre-filter Is a clear plastic cylinder with a screen wire insert. You can look at the screen and see if there is anything in it that will restrict fuel flow. It will normally only clog if you have microbial growth (diesel algae) in your tank. So if you are running clean fuel (no sticks, leaves, or algae), the 300200 pre-filter does not need to be changed. On most coaches it will need to be serviced once or twice in the life of the coach, not yearly.

Gerald      

The only reason I am intimately familiar with this unit is that mine cracked last year causing a fuel leak.  As Gerald said this should be, hopefully, a once in ~10 years event.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 12:04:56 AM »
Stan-

It looks like your HH filter is in the same aggravating place in the bay as mine.  Good luck getting it off without diesel going everywhere, to places really hard to access for cleanup.  Find an old container of some kind that will fit back there underneath to catch the spills and drips, and use a paper towel or something with rubber or other gloves to spin the filter.  Mine was a real b**** because it's so far back instead of up front like some owners are lucky to have;  it was hard on my back reaching over the HH and trying to control the mess.  And if you don't clean up every drop of diesel, the buscuit burner (with the sensitive nose) complains for days afterward, cuz diesel smell filters in through the slideout over the bay.  

Overall, it was the most frustrating maintenance procedure I've done on the coach... if the filter placement was up front, probably not so much.  The filter was a Racor R-12 or a CarQuest 86109.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 02:10:22 AM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
Stan-

It looks like your HH filter is in the same aggravating place in the bay as mine.  Good luck getting it off without diesel going everywhere, to places really hard to access for cleanup.  Find an old container of some kind that will fit back there underneath to catch the spills and drips, and use a paper towel or something with rubber or other gloves to spin the filter.  Mine was a real b**** because it's so far back instead of up front like some owners are lucky to have;  it was hard on my back reaching over the HH and trying to control the mess.  And if you don't clean up every drop of diesel, the buscuit burner (with the sensitive nose) complains for days afterward, cuz diesel smell filters in through the slideout over the bay.  

Overall, it was the most frustrating maintenance procedure I've done on the coach... if the filter placement was up front, probably not so much.  The filter was a Racor R-12 or a CarQuest 86109.

Joel

It is. I'm 6-3, 225 lbs. I needed both hands in there to get a filter wrench on it, and I'm just too big. After a lot of huffing and puffing I finally got it loose. Of course diesel fuel dripping. I have the new filter now, and I'm sure glad this is just once a year! I ordered a new nozzle and some boiler antifreeze.

Thanks for the support from everyone here.

Stan

2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad