Author Topic: Tag axle set up  (Read 6999 times)

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
Tag axle set up
« on: April 20, 2013, 02:11:28 AM »
Hi Folks, My previous coach did not have a tag axle so I am a bit unfamiliar with proper set up. I have weighed all three axles and am underweight across the board:
Front 13,816, Rear drive 18,282 and the Tag is only 5742. I think the tag can tolerate up to 10,000 lbs ?  so am wondering is I should be adding pressure to the tag regulator control? The fuel and propane tanks are pretty much full and the water/waste tanks are all empty. What pressure do you folks suggest is typical to maintain in a Tag on a 40 foot 05 Thunder with C13 and three slides.
Also does anyone know how to, or if you can adjust the amount of lift when raising the tag? It lifts but still scuffs the ground a bit.
Thanks for any advice, can't wait to get the rig on the road next weekend.
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

Jeremy Parrett

Re: Tag axle set up
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 02:55:20 PM »
Hello Dwight,
    I have a tag axle on my Marquis.   I run my tag at 34 psi.  Every coach is different so you have to weigh the coach and adjust the tag to balance your weight between the front and drive axles.  As you increase psi on the tag you reduce weight on the drive axle and add weight to the tag and front axles.
The tag adjuster is a black round knob on a small panel with a gauge measuring psi.  Mine is in the after basement compartment passenger side  above the water pump . To adjust pressure pull the knob out and turn slowly. Push it in to lock the new setting.
 The tag raises about 3 inches and will just scuff the road a bit in the raised position.  
While you are looking at this check the tag tie rods that hold the tag wheels in line.  My axle has these tie rods as my axle has king pins and is a steering axle. You will find pics one here of the issue I had 2 years ago in The Baja.
 Hope this helps.  

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 05:16:28 PM »
Thanks Jeremy, anyone else have any thoughts on this? Is there a formula or something that relates the Tag pressure setting to the weight on the TAG?
thanks in advance,
Dwight
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta

Ron Rowe

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 11:35:56 PM »
Dwight

I have a 40' PT and ran 40 psi in the tag and had proper weight on the front and drive axle.  Total weight was just under 44,000lbs when fully loaded for a winter in the sunny south.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »
Hello Dwight,
   there is no set formula to adjust the tag by.  Just remember your 3 axle  weight limits.  
  I weighed my coach at The Escapees Rainbow Village, in Livingston TX.  
  Knowing the weight on all 3 axles we balanced the coach to spread the total weight evenly  between the 3 axles relative to the axles maximum load weight  taking into consideration the  tires and rim capacity.
I run 295 80R22.5   tires on the steering axle and 11R 22.5 on the driving  and tag axles .
  We  allowed for the greater loading ability of the steering tires by adding a little extra weight up front.  
  Done correctly the tag axle allows you to set up the coach so well that the balance between front and rear is perfect.  This makes for wonderful control,especially cornering and in windy conditions. .It will also reduce "porpoising" to a minimum.   I run all tires at 110 PSI.
  If you have ever had the chance to drive a similar weighted coach with no tag axle you will know what I mean.
     Hope this helps.

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 03:19:44 AM »
Thanks once again for your advice and tips everyone. I will add a bit of additional load to the tag and hits the scales before this coming weekend's ride through the Rockies to relocate the coach to our park in Radium Hot Springs, BC for the summer.
Dwight
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta