Author Topic: When all else fails  HIT IT!  (Read 5957 times)

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
When all else fails  HIT IT!
« on: April 22, 2013, 07:23:11 PM »
My husband took apart our ice maker yesterday since it has never worked since we have had the coach and I love my Margaritas!!! FIrst we bought an in line filter, check the water flow and electrical on the back side of the frog, then he took out the ice maker and ran it through the room temp test and everything worked.  We let it get down to freezing and still no ice.  So since I fixed the TV several months ago by hitting it, I figured what the heck I'll hit the thermostat with the handle of a knife and see if that jars  it loose.  Like magic, after hitting the thermostat twice the thing began to work!!!  Must have had a stuck thermostat and now I have plenty of ice for my Margaritas!!!!
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

John Padmore

Re: When all else fails  HIT IT!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 08:10:52 PM »
YES! This works! I had an icemaker on my boat that stopped working. I took off the square cover to find a set of gears. A few drops of oil and a tap with the screwdriver - it worked. Kept on working for a few years until I sold the boat. Good for you. 8)

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 07:32:04 AM »
Is there a way to control the amount of water that flows in to the ice tray?  I get little hollow cubes.

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »
Under the cover there should be a set screw with a plus and minus, try turning to plus direction.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 05:04:24 PM »
You have discovered one of the best kept secrets of the engineering world, that hitting things is a key aspect of repairing them!   ;D  My wife still doesn't understand that the first thing you are supposed to do with a malfunctioning appliance is to hit it!

Now that you have discovered the secret you are sworn to keeping it.  If you see anyone hitting a malfunctioning device, you should question why they are taking such a barbaric approach.   :X ;D

John Padmore

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 08:53:35 PM »
Next thing you kinow we will be turning the computer off then on again when things go wrong LOL ;D

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 01:20:25 AM »
As Tom indicated, under the white boxy cover on the icemaker front (remove the main tray to see it), there are gears and a sideways screw with a spring over it.  Turning the screw counterclockwise (backing it to your right and the + sign) increases the length of time that the water nozzle stays on.  On my unit, the sweet spot for cube size is when the underside of the screwhead is even with the scribe line above it.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 07:41:51 AM »
Muchas gracias.  I'll give it a try.