Author Topic: Opening Hydro Hot for Maintenance  (Read 10196 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Opening Hydro Hot for Maintenance
« on: April 22, 2013, 10:27:34 PM »
Here is a picture of my Hydro Hot bay. Can anyone suggest how to get this open so I can change the nozzle? I can't even read what those two yellow stickers say. I'm 6-3. If I stand up, they are obscured by the top of the bay. If I get on my knees, I can't read them. The printing reminds me of the opening credits of Star Wars!

Is there a door or top panel that opens with that piano hinge looking thing? It appears it will only open towards the bay opening. How then can I see what's on the other side, not to mention changing a part. Very frustrating. Perhaps someone has a solution. I would be grateful.

Stan

P.S. Looking at the picture after I posted this....is there a chance this opens from the bottom up? If so, I am an all-time dummy. Never even thought of that.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Orman Claxton

Re: Opening Hydro Hot for Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 04:08:40 AM »
Hi Stan
At the very front of your A/H there is two rubber plugs on the outside, remove these plugs , then access is available using a long handle philips head screw.
Be sure to study the manual. this is not a real simple project.

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 05:45:22 AM »
I just replaced the filter and nozzle yesterday. It's not very difficult but it takes some self confidence. I found the electrodes were slightly misaligned and the heat exchanger had considerable accumulated soot which was cleared away with a wire brush and old vacuum cleaner.
Once reassembled I could hear it attempt to run for a minute or two then shut itself down. I suspected it just needed to purge air out of the system and after 3 or 4 attempts it decided to run properly.
While I was in the bay I repaired the hour meter by simply switching the two wires on the back of the meter. The way the hour meter was attached to the top of the heater it was nearly impossible to take a reading. I drilled out the pop rivets and will mount the meter vertically such that it can be easily accessed.

When I replace the nozzle next year I'll relocate the filter a little closer to the bay door making it somewhat easier to access and will likely add brass shutoff valves to reduce the fuel spillage. As with most things, it will be much easier the second time.

Now if anyone can tell me how to access the fuel tank and it's wiring I can hopefully fix a poor ground and get my fuel gauge working. Thanks in advance...
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:59:32 AM »
Great information Bob. Thank you. I had a problem with the ground on my sending unit that caused the fuel gauge to act very erratic. Tightened the ground nut, and it returned to normal. Its just past the driver's side front tire on the side of the fuel tank on our coach. YMMV. Here's a picture

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:33:38 PM »
The erratic functioning fuel gauge on my coach was corrected by tightening the ground for the gauge under the dash, not on the tank.

Larry

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 05:08:33 AM »
Thanks Larry, I'll certainly check the gauge ground first since it's a lot easier to access. Was the poor ground connection right on the gauge itself or at the other end of that wire?

Now I have identified another problem: the default of the vacuum operated heat A/C controls is to send all air through the windshield defrost vents. The vacuum pump on my previous RV had this problem when the electric vacuum pump quit. Anyone know where the vacuum pump might be on the Beaver Monterey?

Once again, thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 05:31:23 AM »
Bob,

The loose ground connection was at the end connected to the long ground wire bus bar, with several screw connections.  Give them all a twist while you are there.

Larry