Author Topic: Hurricane fuel filter upgrade  (Read 2717 times)

Joel Weiss

Hurricane fuel filter upgrade
« on: April 23, 2013, 01:41:50 AM »
I don't know if all the Patriot Hurricane systems were installed with a puny little plastic fuel filter, but mine was.  Furthermore, the filter was "behind" the bay containing the Hurricane and accessing it required being slim and able to shimmy under the MH.  Since I'm not slim and am not fond of crawling on my back, I have wanted to replace the filter with one that had more filtering capacity and was located in a more accessible position.  

Since we were in the NW and needed to have ITR replace a malfunctioning aquastat anyway, I had them do the filter replacement.  Kevin installed a Gar-Ber spin-on fuel filter in the top half of the bay where my hot water tank is located.  The filter assembly is a standard 10 micron residential heating oil one; the replacements are readily available.  I'm sure other filter assemblies could do the same job.

The bottom line is that I now have an easy-to-change filter which I am far more likely to change and the filter, itself, is a far better unit than the little one that had been installed.  IMHO it was a relatively inexpensive upgrade with a definite benefit.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Hurricane fuel filter upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 03:02:49 AM »
Joel,

That's exactly the filter I bought for the Hydro Hot. Coincidentally, on their website, where you can click on "annual maintenance parts" the same filter appears.

https://secure.aquahot.com/eSource/items/items-2-S1-lV1AM-lV2.aspx?store=
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad