Author Topic: Transmission Filter Replacement?  (Read 7467 times)

Tom Kaye

Transmission Filter Replacement?
« on: April 25, 2013, 07:53:29 PM »
A friend of mine who owns a 2011 Tour said that he stopped by a repair place in Florida for an oil change and they told him that he should be getting the tranmission filter changed on an annual basis. It seems like a lot to me given he put about 8,000 miles a year on his coach. He is suggesting that I should be considering doing the same. Does that sound right?

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Filter Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 08:08:04 PM »
Tom,

No, you do not need to service your tranmission every year.  Depends on the model and type of fluid that you currently are using.  I would avoid the repair place that your friend went to in Florida.  

Can you share the name of this repair place?

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 08:17:46 PM »
Tom,

No, you do not need to service your tranmission every year.  Depends on the model and type of fluid that you currently are using.  I would avoid the repair place that your friend went to in Florida.  

Can you share the name of this repair place?

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 09:24:10 PM »
Motorhomes with Allison transmissions filled with Transynd fluid should have filters changed on a 3-4 year basis.  If you do fluid sampling analysis you most likely will only need to have the fluid topped off to replace what is lost during the filter replacement.

If your transmission is still running with Dexron you are strongly advised to have it changed to Transynd which is the only fluid currently recommended by Allison for the 3000 and 4000 series transmissions found on these coaches.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 09:58:58 PM »
Joel, Your statement is not quite correct. Yes Allison does recommend changing to a synthetic fluid with a TE295 rating but you can still use DexronIII if it has the TES-389 rating. Chevron and Valvoline both have those with that rating. It also states that when using a TES-389 fluid, they recommend fluid changes every year. TES- 295 changes recommended every 4 years.
I have no intentions of starting an arguement at which is better or worse, just that we do have choices. Of coarse this only would apply to coaches older than 2003 that did not come from the factory with Transynd.
Marty

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:03:07 PM »
Perhaps your friend misunderstood.  After the first year or so many miles, it is recommended the "break in" filter be changed since it grabbed wear particulates from initial use.  A 2011 coach should already have Transynd fluid in it.  As Karl and Joel say, it should go quite awhile before needing service.  One service schedule I have says filter and fluid very 25,000 miles, and that was written before Transynd was invented.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 12:18:27 AM »
Quote from: Marty and Suzie Schenck
Joel, Your statement is not quite correct. Yes Allison does recommend changing to a synthetic fluid with a TE295 rating but you can still use DexronIII if it has the TES-389 rating. Chevron and Valvoline both have those with that rating. It also states that when using a TES-389 fluid, they recommend fluid changes every year. TES- 295 changes recommended every 4 years.
I have no intentions of starting an arguement at which is better or worse, just that we do have choices. Of coarse this only would apply to coaches older than 2003 that did not come from the factory with Transynd.
Marty

Marty:

There is a very knowledgeable former Allison technical type who posts on several RV forums.  He was heavily involved in the development of Transynd and is very vocal in urging people to switch.  It's my understanding that there are very definite performance improvements that result from using Transynd, the most notable of which is usually a significant decrease in transmission operating temperature.

Since the conversion to Transynd changes the maintenance cycle from an every year fluid change to an every four years one (at most, depending on fluid condition), IMHO I can see no reason for anyone not to make the switch.  Sure, the initial fluid change is expensive because of the double flush but that cost will be easily recouped by not having to change the fluid again for at least four years.   Sure, Allison can't tell anyone that the fluid that came with the transmission can't still be used, but it seems totally foolish not to take advantage of a major technical improvement that can improve performance and, most likely, extend the life of the transmission.

To me it's no different from the conversion of my CAT to ELC coolant from the original glycol coolant.  CAT ELC is more expensive but I no longer have to monitor SCA's and I don't have to change the coolant for 6 years (with the proper additive at 3 years). When new technology comes along that represents a major improvement I can't understand anyone's reluctance to use it.

Joel

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 12:54:04 AM »
Joel, As I stated I didn't want to start dispute. Allison's reputation was started, built and lasted many years on dinosaur squeezins and yes synthetic MAY be better (last I checked Cat does not recommend it in their engines). I use TES-389 approved Valvoline in my transmission and have it tested yearly. I have gone 3 years and the tests show that there is no need to change as yet. If it is still that way next year I will change it anyway just because of time. My original intent was to inform those that don't have a transmission that is 2003 or newer do not HAVE TO change to synthetics. Marty

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 01:17:22 AM »
Marty--

Without belaboring the subject, there is a huge difference between the use of synthetic lubricants in engines (CAT or anyone else's) and the use of a synthetic transmission fluid.  The controversy over whether or not synthetic lubricants extend oil change intervals or lessen engine wear has been going on since the introduction of Mobil 1 and the engine makers and the oil providers have never seen eye to eye on the topic.

Transmission fluid, as I'm sure you know, is a lot more than a lubricant.  It is the very lifeblood of the transmission.  This case, where the transmission manufacturer has been integrally involved in the development of the improved fluid and has switched its entire product line to it, IMHO is quite a bit different than that of synthetic motor oil.

Just as you wish to make people aware that they don't have to switch fluids, I am just as intent on making sure people realize that Transynd (or the equivalently rated products sold under other brand names) can significantly improve transmission performance and improve lifetimes.  Recently on this forum a member noted that if he had realized how much of a difference Transynd would make in his transmission he would have changed to Transynd a lot sooner.  You are welcome to do as you wish with your motorhome; I simply want others to understand that there is neither technical nor financial justification for not switching fluids.

Joel

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:37:36 AM »
There is certainly good reasons to change or not to change to synthetics in this case. The latest evolution of the dexron line with the TES-389 designation is approved by Allison with the proper change interval and the option of fluid analysis also makes this option a good chioce. I say that because our motorhomes in the scheme of things see light loads and fewer miles than a standard trucking fleet. We are far more likely to ruin a transmission due to a cooler fail than to ever wear one out. I personally have switched to Transynd but I would not have resrvations running a TES 389 approved fluid. These transmissions should outlast all of us in this motorhome application with either fluid.

Later Ed

Tom Kaye

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 03:23:27 AM »
Well he said that he was told this by a tech in Florida and by a guy at a freightliner service centre. He was just passing on the suggestion to me and I thought i'd ask. My coach was put on the road in June of 2009 and I am the 2nd owner so I have no service records with the coach. I am putting it in for service next week when I pull it out of storage and though I'd ask before.  I have learned a lot and will have it checked when it goes in but i don't think i'll be changing the filters every year.