Author Topic: Keeping batteries charges  (Read 5448 times)

John Padmore

Keeping batteries charges
« on: April 26, 2013, 09:34:37 PM »
I can't seem to keep the house or starting batteries charged. The engine batteries are dead and I can't start the generator. When I hook up a portable battery charger to the batteries that are on the right of the compartment, I can get the generator started after about an hour of charging. I can run the generator for hours but the engine batteries never get charged. What am I missing here? Is there some secret switch that I need to flip that will charge the engine batteries.
I have the coach plugged in to a 15 amp circuit in my garage.

1. The battery switch on the water tank panel always reads "Good"
2. On the inverter panel the inverter/charger light is lit when the coach is plugged in
3. The batteries on the right side of the compatrtment say 10/09 and 2/10 date of mfg. regular 12v starting batteries
4. I have solar panels on the roof

What am I doing wrong? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I am getting frustrated. Thanks.....

John

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Keeping batteries charges
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:55:32 PM »
Do you have a portable volt meter you can use to check voltage at the chassis batteries, on shore power and when the genset is on and when it's off?

I'm not familiar with your model coach, and how it charges, but what you are reading on the devices are probably just house battery condition.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

John Padmore

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 09:57:48 PM »
Yes.....although I'm not sure I know how to use it real well - LOL ;D
What do you suggest?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 10:11:05 PM »
Attach the black lead to a chassis negative, red to the positive. Make sure it's a chassis battery and not a house one. With the shore power disconnected and genset off, write down the voltage.   Then start the genset, wait a couple minutes, and note the voltage again.  Stop the genset and plug in to shore power.  Wait a few minutes, then note the voltage once more.

This information should be helpful to others here more familiar with your coach, so they can help track down the problem.  Further meter checks will likely be necessary.

It could be as simple as loose battery connections, loose ground strap, or corrosion at the battery posts causing high resistance.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:38:12 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 11:38:47 PM »
John,

Sounds like the batteries are dead and it is unlikely that you can bring them back to life...  Take them to a car parts or battery store, have them tested and see if they are still good.  If the check OK, then check the water level, refill and fully charge them individually with a charger before putting them back into your coach.  

Good luck,

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 11:47:54 PM »
His chassis batteries shouldn't need water.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Steven Hoffman

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 04:29:45 AM »
John

The generator is probably wired to start from the chassis batteries.  

Richard Ames's coach is set up this way.  His did not have a charge source to the chassis batteries either from shore power or the generator.    He added and Echo Charger to solve his problem.    

You can see his post in the "Battery expertise" topic thread.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 06:17:27 AM »
John,
Most 97 Patriots are not equipped with a method to charge the chassis batteries if stored under cover. The chassis batteries will be discharged by the engine ECM (engine control module). Under ideal conditions, the solar panels on the roof will stay up with this drain, however, if the solar panels can not produce enough power to overcome this drain because of clouds, shade trees, or a structural cover (roof) the batteries will be discharged.  

The solution for your problem is to install some type of "Bird" system or an "Echo Charger". A "Bird" system would probably be the best solution and they are commonly available at large marine supply houses. The Xantrex "Echo Charger" will also correct your problem, and it can be purchased at most RV supply stores. Both of these systems have been discussed many times on this forum.

A starting battery that is completely discharged, will be damaged and one that is repeatedly discharged will be ruined. So this is something that needs to be corrected soon.

Gerald

John Padmore

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 02:12:17 PM »
Thank you all for the suggestions. I think I will start with new batteries as the two I have on the chassis have different years of mfg. and probably one is drawing down the other. I will see if I have an echo charger installed. I am familiar with them as I installed one on my boat. Thanks.....

John

Dick Simonis

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »
John, IMHO the "echo" type charges have a couple of advantages over the relay types.  A big one is the ease if installation as they don't require wire sizes that are rated for full charger output currents.  They are internally regulated to ~20 amps or so which is plenty to keep the chassis batteries topped off.  Additionally they have several control functions that disconnect the chassis batteries when the house batteries voltage is either high or low.....don't want the chassis batteries discharging along with the house or overcharging if equalizing.

Mine is a Magnum and the only problem I've had was an occasional fuse blow until I realized that it was a bit to small.