Author Topic: Another Battery Charger Question  (Read 6018 times)

Paul Bowers

Another Battery Charger Question
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:04:26 AM »
I have a 2001 Beaver Monterrey that has a Freedom Battery Charger but since I changed chassis batteries the charger will not keep those batteries charged.  The charger keeps the house batteries up with no problem.  I have had the coach for 8 years and my chassis batteries have always been charged and ready whenever I needed them...but not since I put new batteries in the coach.  The same type, brand and cranking amps were used in the replacement.

Green light on the charger says it is charging...my battery monitor says house full, and chassis <10 amps.

My schematic shows the charger going to the house batteries and chassis batteries...the chassis batteries show an isolator between the charger and batteries.  Could the isolater be bad?  If so, any idea where it is located?

I saw the previous post of charging batteries and will go back and check with voltmeter.  Since it is a new battery, I guess it is possible I may have a short in the new battery, causing the problem.

thanks in advance...

pb

Edward Buker

Re: Another Battery Charger Question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 02:31:24 PM »
Paul,

I'm not sure of the exact configuration of your charging system but if you have never had a chassis battery discharge issue before then something has changed. What comes to mind, as you mentioned, is a bad battery or the possibility of a fuse or the charging unit that feeds the chassis side batteries not working. With the house batteries up and charged check the voltage on the chassis batteries and see if they are 13.2-13.8V. If so and you still have the problem disconnect the plus leads on both of them and wait an hour. Then measure the voltage and see if one has drifted downward due to a bad cell. If you have access to a load tester, test each of them or bring them in and have them load tested. My suspicion is that something is not working right with the charging system. If it is an Echo charger check the fuses. When the new chassis batteries are being added take some care not to let the + battery leads touch the metal frame ground given things like an Echo charger are still supplying voltage and current. That would be a way to open the fuse that feeds your battery charging for your chassis batteries. There are two 15 amp fuses in the Echo charger wires for example.

If for some reason you have lower than 12.8V on the chassis batteries you will need to determine how these batteries normally get charged and trouble shoot that system. These charging or battery coupling systems only work if the house batteries are being charged and are in the 13V + range. The good thing is that these charging systems for the chassis batteries are usually within the area of the battery compartment.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:02:44 PM by 910 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 03:07:19 PM »
Paul,
The battery isolator that you referred to, is used to separate the two battery banks and allow the engine alternator to charge both battery banks at the same time. Unless your engine is running, it plays no role in charging the chassis batteries. Your coach charges the chassis batteries when the house batteries are being charged by the inverter with the use of an "Echo Charger", so your problem is probably caused by a malfunction in that system. As Ed stated the most likely cause in a defective fuse in one of the wires to the "Echo Charger", however the "Echo Charger" itself may be defective and need replacing.

'Echo Chargers" have a failure rate that is higher than some owners are willing to accept, so if your "Echo Charger is defective, you may want to consider replacing it with a "Bird" system that is similar to the ones that Monaco installed on the Beaver coaches that they designed, and are commonly used in the marine industry. However just replacing the "Echo Charger" if it is defective will be easier, quicker, and cheaper than installing a "Bird" system.

Gerald

Gerald

Keith Oliver

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 03:36:26 PM »
Paul:
As Gerald notes, echo chargers fail.  Mine did.  I have now replaced it with a "BIRD".  The one I chose I found at an RV store in Indio: a Blue Seas Systems Relay that charges the Chassis batteries from the House batteries, while those are charging, but isolates from them when under load.  It connects directly to both sets of batteries.  The cost was comparable to the cost of a replacement echo charger.

Paul Bowers

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 08:03:34 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your advise.

After doing an extensive check with a voltmeter, all the batteries were good and the charging unit was charging within tolerance.

I replaced the chassis batteries, but an RV repair center replaced my four house batteries and did not properly clean, connect and tighten the negative post coming from the charger.  While cleaning up the terminals, I did notice a small amount of electrolysis debris in the battery tray which I believe could have been caused by the loose terminal.  Also, part of the problem was a small accessory terminal was put on the negative post first, then the charger cable, so the connection was not optimal.  Then when it was not tightened properly, the charger could not operate normally, which did not fully charge the house batteries, which in turn did not allow the chassis batteries to charge...or at least that is the way I understand the system.

Anyway, the system appears to be working now.  After 16 hours batteries are back up to normal.

Thanks again for your help.   Your advise saved me some money I am sure.

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 01:46:31 PM »
Good lesson here, sometimes it is the basics, like good connections. Glad you are good to go and all is well.

Later Ed