Author Topic: Direct TV Receiver and Antenna  (Read 5623 times)

Gary Winzenburger

Direct TV Receiver and Antenna
« on: April 28, 2013, 04:01:49 PM »
Just a quick question! Is it possible to use my Direct TV card from our house unit in the unit in our motor coach? I'm tempted to try it this morning, but thought I'd ask. I turned the unit on and tried to raise the dish (not DDS), but it's not coming up, so it might just need the card to operate. I know I will need to re-program everything, but just trying to save a buck, or more like a hundred. Thanks

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Direct TV Receiver and Antenna
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 04:11:39 PM »
Gary,
It should work. If not, suggest you simply take the box from your house and put it in the coach when using it. This has worked for me for years.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 05:07:20 PM »
No Gary, it won't work. Each card is coded to a particular reciever. I tried it and it did not work so I called Direct TV. At first I just took the box from the house but now I have one in the coach. That way I can watch tv when I'm in the dog house. Marty

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 06:32:45 PM »
Gary,
You did not say what make of satellite dish your coach is equipped with. There are some makes that communicate between the satellite dish controller and the Direct TV receiver, and on this type of system, a specific receiver must be used that has a communication port for the dish controller to tie into for the necessary information to operate. However most satellite dish controllers do not communicate with the Direct TV receiver and therefore they will raise and find the satellite weather or not the receiver is working. In other words, we need more information about your system to properly advise you on its use.

Gerald  

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 07:25:25 PM »
The receiver and card are matched by a code so not interchangeable. You would have to move the whole unit with a compatible antenna.

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 07:31:57 PM »
It's a Travel-Sat 1.5, model 29285. It says it will control the "On" and "Off" operation of the receiver once it's turned on, but I haven't tried it due to the DDS receiver not having the card.
Thanks for your input!

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 08:07:27 PM »
I just tried raising the dish per instructions that came with it. The dish won't raise, but the controller will blink back and forth between travel and on modes. Owner instructions state not to turn on the receiver, which it won't do any way. We'll just have to either get Direct TV, cable or the older TV antenna. What a choice we have to make! Only wish it had a IPOD jack!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 01:58:11 AM »
I just returned home from a 4 day shake down trip. I have a Winegard Trav'ler DirecTV antenna. I took the receiver from my office at home and plugged it in the coach, and it worked fine.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 05:21:47 AM »
Direct Tv mates the card and the receiver numbers and unless they reprogram the match it will not work. They have not been willing to move a card number to another receiver but they would send a new card if needed when you subscribe. You will have to take a working receiver with a working card together to get this to work in the coach.

Later Ed