Author Topic: TV Upgrades  (Read 5188 times)

Dick Simonis

TV Upgrades
« on: April 28, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »
Since I've gotten the upgrades 90% finished, I thought about posting some pics.

First is the new Scepter 32" TV in the stowed for travel position.  At the bottom is a couple of things that rotate up to secure it.
Over in the righthand cabinet where the VCR used to be is the sat ant controller and under it is a Dynex BluRay DVD.
In the Center overhead cabinet is the new Dish Hopper sat receiver.  Much better fit than the VIP722 I was moving back and forth between House to MH.
The left hand overhead compartment is now empty.
The TV is on a 20" articlating arm that allows it to be position closer to the coach center line and quite a bit aft so it's very easily viewed from the sofa.
The original 26" Visio that came with the coach is now in the bedroom connected to the Hopper by a Joey (not shown)
Finally, is a shot of the front TV swung out of the way showing the arm.

Still to do is clean up the wiring behind the TV and mount the Joey someplace in the closet under the bedroom TV.

Dick Simonis

Re: TV Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 08:46:30 PM »
Forgot the hopper pic.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 11:10:15 PM »
Dick,
Nice installation. The front TV mount gives me some ideas for when the boss tires of the 26" Vizio i I nstalled last year. The use of carpet on the framing is a good idea and the articulating arm probably gives you a good  amount of tilt capability if needed. Although my mounts had a 15 degree tilt capability, I had to shim them to get the right amount.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 11:26:01 PM »
Nice installation. Looking at the pictures, I want to ask if anyone knows where I can get those piston stops that hold the front panels open on the cabinets? I have one panel that is missing them.

Keith Oliver

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 03:49:00 AM »
Dick:

I don't see your HDMI cable in your pix.  Mine keeps falling out of the socket in the back of the TV as I go down the road.  How have you secured yours?

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 04:54:09 AM »
What a nice installation. :)  From the last pix it looks as if there is also carpeting under the other front cabinets and also under the TV cabinet.  Is that carpeting an original install?  Also the little shelf that sticks out from the cabinet; is that there to support the TV?  What did you use to lock the TV in as it is on a hinge?  
I also want to bring the 26" TV out into the center of the coach as the picture seems to be distorted to anyone sitting on the same side as the TV.  The old TV is fine for now but do want to change to flat screen on a moveable swivel and also to have some more storage room in back of it when done. :-/
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 05:16:09 AM »
Dick,

Really nice job. Lots of thought and hours in these TV rework projects....enjoy the new install.

Later Ed

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 03:30:08 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments.  To answer a couple of questions:

The fabric around the cabinets was standard from  Beaver.

No problem with the HDMI falling out as they are on the side of the TV and the cables are secured to the mount with zip ties so they just follow the movement without a problem.  I did have a problem with the power cord falling out but that was solved when I tied everything to the top of the mount arm.

The wood under the rear TV had been originally installed in the front when the Visio was installed by the PO.

My first trip with the new 32" allowed he TV to keep trying to swing out but than I found those little catches at Ace and the problem was solved.  You can see them on the first pic....little silver things that rotate up to hold the TV.  It doesn't take much as I mounted the arm so the TV slightly drags on the bottom when bring moved and have to lift it a smidgen (tech term) for stowing.

I'm still in awe with how well the Dish system works with the Hopper and Joey.  Better than I thought, especially after so many folks warned me to be leery of the that old OEM coax.  Dish did a great job in the design and engineering.  Pat is extremely happy as with the original installation, the Bose speakers behind the drivers seat partially obstructed her TV viewing  form the coach.  Now she can lie there with a great viewing angle.  Plus, the TV moves so easily we can push it out of the way so it's not a head hazard.