Author Topic: Chassis Air Conditioner R134 Charge  (Read 6305 times)

Edward Buker

Chassis Air Conditioner R134 Charge
« on: April 30, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
Once or twice a year I add some R134 charge to our dash air unit in our coach. It loses some pressure and cooling peformance over time but is not a significant enough loss to require repair. I have a set of gauges and my system coupling points are by the compressor in the back but yours may vary. I typically used a sheet of paper with readings I was shooting for based on the ambient outside temperature. Usually the paper would not be handy or try and blow away. I took a scrap piece of plastic (leftover plastic wainscot from Lowes) and used a sharpie to post this near the compressor and it has proved to be handy. I had added some aluminum thin diamond plate earlier just to have a place to post and mount things on. I also have my fluid type/brands, dates of changeover to synthetics, and mileage here for the last change. Just do not want any service folks to add different fluid types if I need road service. These air system pressure values are for the R134 high pressure side with good air flow (fans on) over the condenser. Thought these values might be handy for someone else also. It takes about 15 minutes once or twice a year to peak the system back up. Use the outside ambient temp to get the high side pressure values. There is a nominal and high spec pressure value for a given ambient on the table. Any ending high side pressure value between those two numbers should be fine. Always add charge to the low side port only.

I added one shot of the coach after a wash...There may have been things that Beaver did that we would have changed given the chance but one thing they did right was the paint jobs. My coach is about 12 years old now, is on the road all summer, and after cleaning it up I still marvel at the finish. For its size it is quite remarkable. Except for some peeling clearcoat at the roof curves the rest is doing well....kudos to the Beaver Paint booth guys.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:41:05 PM by 910 »

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: Chassis Air Conditioner R134 Charge
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:39:38 PM »
Nice job Ed, nice parking space also! I also took a felt pen and wrote on the cooling system filler/over flow tank ELC only and the date. A question or two, the dual fan mounted on the access door, did it come on yours stock or did you put it on? Does the fan pull air out the back or push it through? My Thunder doesn't have one and it's really warm back there when you travel in hot weather and try to go to bed. Thanks, Marty

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 03:54:20 AM »
Marty,

We built the shop over two winters after we moved here and I would be bored without it. Nice for projects. It has a heat pump so I can work in comfort year around....a bit spoiled in that regard vs my earlier days in VT.

The dual fan was already mounted on the access door and I have not had it come on yet (to the best of my knowledge) but my assumption is that it would push air rearward out of the compartment, anything else would not make sense. If it did not work that way, I would make that happen.

One of my future projects is to wire up some kind of manual or automatic timing circuit for when we shut down at a campsight and it is hot out. I have not gotten to that yet. I have not seen a schematic of how these fans are set up and wired now. If someone has one please post it.

Later Ed

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 04:49:27 AM »
Thats why I asked. On some coaches it only comes on at shut down to cool the engine compartment. They have been on a relay with a timer. I talked to a Country Coach owner and his came on that way and accually blew into the compartment to cool it. I think I remember Gerald talking about some Beavers having them also (can't find the thread). Thanks, Marty

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 06:12:10 AM »
Marty,

To run the fan at will, something like this remote system with a 30 amp relay being added would be easy to install for under $20 with all the wiring being confined to the engine compartment. Might consider this given timers and thermostats would be involved to automate things....not worth the effort for the amount that it would be used....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PI9E4K/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B008999RYY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0B58CYQ5B0J58PSAPRA3

BTW Autozone has quite an array of single and double fans that would work on the hatch if you were heading down that path.

Later Ed

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 07:30:13 PM »
I installed a double fan (used from 93 Buick). Napa Auto Parts thermostat 90-145 Degree. Comes on when engine is shut down and pulls the heat out and cools down bedroom heat. Should have gotten a higher temp thermostat. Ran from chassis battery to 30 amp breaker to 30 amp relay to fans with thermostat tripping relay for fans. Used fan 50.00, relay 12.00, 30 amp breaker 8.00, thermostat 45.00. plus wire and connecters. close to $150.00
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 11:20:58 PM »
Jim,

Do you have a PN for that thermostat and when you say that you would recommend a higher temp range, what would be a good guess of the range from your use. I am guessing that the 90 (degree shut off?) would have it running on a hot day and probably way too long on cool down.

Later Ed

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 11:57:36 PM »
Yes 90 degree shut off but that is adjustable to a higher temp. I was thinking of the on temp being higher so it would come on climbing a grade. Can't give you a part number because I did this over a year ago. I did go to Napa Auto and picked it from thier catalog and had them order it. The thermostat has a 24" lead with the temp sensor at the end. I put that in the top corner of the radiator core.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9