Author Topic: Exterior Skin Crack  (Read 21414 times)

Mike Merchant

Exterior Skin Crack
« on: May 02, 2013, 04:43:09 AM »
Just got around to giving the Beav a bath after we got back from the desert and found a 6 inch crack in the "skin" extending from the rear (bedroom) lower front road side slide corner downward and forward toward the duals but not to the beltline. Appears to be full thickness of the skin ( aluminum or fiberglass).
Recently had a bent drive axle housing staightened which required removal of the axle and the subframe by jacking up the rear end for access. Wouldn't think this would be related since the "house"is built on the frame itself.
I seem to remember this topic was discussed in the past on the forum. Obviously a concern and will be calling Ken at BCS but will appreciate any input from any and all.

Mike

Gerald Farris

Re: Exterior Skin Crack
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 02:08:37 PM »
Mike,
The exterior skin on your coach is fiberglass. I have never been involved in a coach as young as yours with a crack like you described. However, I was involved with several fiberglass skin cars (Corvette) that had cracking problems as they aged, and we just considered it the nature of the beast.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 02:26:54 PM »
Mike,

Some stress is being relieved it would seem. I do not see a clear link to the axle work but it is hard to know for sure and impossible to prove even if it was.

I would drill a small hole at the end of the crack so that it does not travel any futher. You can put a little of the sealer that is used to bed crank up vents and the like. It comes in a flat roll with paper between the layers and is redily available at any RV supply store. It acts a lot like clay and can be easily removed when the repair is being done,

Later Ed

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 02:53:11 PM »
We had the same issue with a 5th wheel that we had and the manufacturer told us that they had others with the same problem and it was due to too much frame flexing. They fixed it by putting in a spacer to allow it to flex. If you didn't have the flexing before I would look at a frame issue
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »
Mike,
  I have exactly the same split or stress crack  under the forward lower edge of  the bedroom slide pocket.  I bought my coach in 2010 with this split.  It is about 5 inches long and has not elongated in 3 years  driving  some pretty rough  Baja  roads.  I am told a good body shop can easily fix it by laminating new fibreglass over the ground out area and refinishing it.
   Hope this helps.

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 05:54:36 PM »
On our boat we fixed stress cracks by epoxying a piece of hose on the back side of the fiberglass which was underneath the deck and grinding out the crack about 1 inch on each side and laying fiberglass tape and epoxy. The hose on the backside absorbs the stress. If you just grind it out and place tape on the front side it will re crack. Been there done that
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 05:57:09 PM »
I should mention the piece of hose was cut in half with the cut side on the fiberglass
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 09:36:46 PM »
All three of the beavers I have had have had either one or two cracks in this exact same area, on my 03 marquis, someone made two 4" x 4" aluminum plates and glued them over this area, they colour matched the paint scheme and they actually look pretty good. On my 2000 marquis I tried to fix the one crack that it had , did a proper fibreglass repair, because I was reprinting that area anyway, turned out great until it cracked again about 3 weeks later.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 10:54:57 PM »
  I cannot see a way to get behind the stress crack/split.

Mike Merchant

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 06:52:19 PM »
Thanks for the info/suggestions everybody, helps the piece of mind.
Would be nice to get to the backside as you suggest Jeremy, since I suspect that is where the problem lies, that being no glassed in double layer at the corners. Corners are notorious for cracks, I think that's why airplanes don't have cornered windows. I'll make a corner template and have the local metal shop cut a 1/8th inch aluminum plate to glue over and paint. Would it be best to sand the paint down to clean fiberglass for best adhesion with epoxy?        

Mike

Mike Merchant

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 07:00:03 PM »
Gerald,
We had a 64 split window coupe followed by a 65 coupe, then kids started to come along and it was on to a Ford station wagon. Wouldn't want to give the kids back but sure would like to have either one of the Corvettes back.                                    
                                                                                            Mike

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »
Mike, you must have had the only 64 split window coupe ever made, just kidding I am sure you meant 63. i know how you feel I had a 72 LT-1 that I had to sell to start my business, and most recently a 66 original 450 horse 427 roadster that went when I bought my house on the lake.

Sorry for getting off topic here, but can't resist talking about corvettes

Dave
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:04:12 PM by 7343 »

Mike Merchant

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 11:31:13 PM »
Dave - You're right, the old brain is getting foggy. The 63 was lite blue  with the 327ci 300HP as I remember. Managed to convince my bride that since we were moving to Texas we really needed AC and more power so got the 64 with AC and the 350HP as I remember, not the solid lifter 365. Lots of stuff cramed under that hood so she always ran a little warm in Texas.                                  Mike

Edward Buker

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 01:54:04 AM »
Now you guys are making me nostalgic. 1965 ..327/365 HP... loved the top down and roar of the sidepipes with Hedman headers.

Lets get some photos out here.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 02:22:56 AM by 910 »

Edward Buker

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 02:31:59 AM »
Found a couple of more shots including my 68 with side pipes and a black laquer paint job we worked half a summer evenings getting done. Those were some good days.....wish I had them now. Might as well throw in a photo of the old 73 GMC "Darth Vader Mobile" as my kids used to call it. That old GMC really did ride well with the torsion bar front end and air suspension in the rear. Lots of GM in our family...

Later Ed