Author Topic: 2000 Patriot 120volt electrical circuits  (Read 16872 times)

William Brosam

2000 Patriot 120volt electrical circuits
« on: May 03, 2013, 03:46:15 PM »
Hey guys got a question, so running two heaters on 1500 watts popped our inverter breaker switch in the middle of the night and we woke up to a brisk morning of me running outside to turn the switch on the inverter down stairs

SO, which plugs from the bathroom back are on separate  breakers?

Basically,  I want one heater in the bedroom plugged into the plug next to bed for heat in the back, and I've had the other plugged into the bathroom sink area pointed towards the back. These are clearly the same circuit and cant run at same time.

Which plugs run on a separate circuit so i can run both heaters?

Or, is there a way to not draw power through the inverter for everything, since I'm plugged into 50 amp service i should not have to run power through the inverter all the time right, or is this just the way it works?

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:11:32 AM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

Re: 2000 Patriot 120volt electrical circuits
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 05:14:51 PM »
William,
There are usually 2 receptacles in your model coach that do not run through the inverter. The easiest way to identify these circuits is to turn off the inverter so that it will not produce 120V power, and go to the 120V breaker box and turn off the breaker to the inverter. Then take a lamp or a 120V tester and check all receptacles for power. The receptacles that still have power, do not run through the inverter and will not be powered by it if you are dry camping. These receptacles are usually one by the bed and one near the refrigerator.

Gerald

William Brosam

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 07:41:36 PM »
ill check that out tonight and see

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 01:48:51 AM »
After having had exactly the same experience as you, I've started connecting one heater directly to the 20A outlet on my campsite's utility pedestal.  I have a 50' 12AWG extension which is capable of handling the full load of the heater on high (even though we usually use it on low).  I put the extension through the driver's window and use a little tape to close the opening.  It works like a charm.  I'm currently using this approach in western WA where the nighttime temps drop to the mid-40's.  Usually a single heater near the front of the coach running on low is sufficient to keep the Hurricane from going off until the wee hours of the morning.  I do have a second heater I could plug in near the bedroom, but I don't mind using some diesel fuel if I can keep the total consumption down.

William Brosam

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 03:25:57 AM »
figured out passenger side bed outlet is not run through the inverter, and the outlet by the table/refridgerator and near the floor

so that is where i will be plugging the heaters from now on.

William Brosam

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 03:30:29 AM »
now to figure out this washing machine wont drain the damn water out

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 06:17:32 AM »
This is something new.  Are you guys saying that while plugged in to shore power, some of the outlets are still powered through the inverter?  While plugged in I have never turned the inverter on and I've never noticed any dead plugs.  Clue me in.  

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 11:27:48 AM »
Adam,
When you are plugged in, the receptacles that the inverter powers when you are dry camped are powered by shore power that is passed through the inverter. So the inverter is on stand-by, even if it is turned on, and it just passes the shore power through to the receptacles.

Gerald

William Brosam

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 01:04:09 PM »
im popping the inverter breaker when trying to use two heaters or electric cook top and a heater etc.

so wanted to figure out which outlet to plug heater into that does not use the inverter. pain when its cold outside to run out and turn the breaker for inverter back on in middle of night.

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 03:18:42 PM »
So if the power is passing through, why is the inverter breaker tripping and not the individual branch circuits that are being overloaded?

Joel Weiss

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 03:30:02 PM »
Quote from: Adam Hicklin
So if the power is passing through, why is the inverter breaker tripping and not the individual branch circuits that are being overloaded?

In our case the breakers that did trip were always the subpanel ones that are on the inverter.

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 03:45:50 PM »
This is great info.  If I ever tripped a breaker I would have looked to the main electrical panel and possibly become very frustrated when everything looked fine.  Would have never thought at looking to the inverter.  Again the BAC Brain Trust saves me potential frustration!  You guys are awesome!

Joel Weiss

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 04:14:54 PM »
Depending on where your inverter is physically located in the basement, getting to the two breakers on it to reset them can be a challenge, especially if you have a few extra pounds around your middle like I do.  Next week, when I replace my ailing Xantrex with a Magnum, there will be a separate subpanel located where I can easily reach it!

William Brosam

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 04:53:26 PM »
for instance my inverter is mounted to the bottom of main floor/ top of the cargo bay in front of passenger rear tire. so sliding into the bay (thats kinda full) and reaching up to switch them back on is annoying to say the least in your underwear at 2am cause its cold !

Joel Weiss

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 05:15:25 PM »
Quote from: William Brosam
for instance my inverter is mounted to the bottom of main floor/ top of the cargo bay in front of passenger rear tire. so sliding into the bay (thats kinda full) and reaching up to switch them back on is annoying to say the least in your underwear at 2am cause its cold !

Yup, that's where mine is also.  In the past it has often gotten tripped by the inadvertent use of a hair dryer while the coffee was still brewing, necessitating an early morning crawl into the basement. :-/