Author Topic: Electric Water heater  (Read 8076 times)

William Brosam

Electric Water heater
« on: April 08, 2013, 02:19:04 PM »
So im getting ready to start messing with the electric water heater again, i have the hurricane system.

so if i understand its operation correctly with the breaker above bed turned on and the remote panel switch (in cargo bay behind passenger front tire) and the water heater switch on thats mounted on kitchen cabinet

it should function. but it does not make hot water.

so i talked to rikens.com they said i needed to remove the element to see how long it is and what shape to see what i need to replace it with.

just wanted to check make sure there is not another procedure i need to do to turn on the electric side rather then runnign the diesel until it warms up and then turning it off to not burn diesel all night for a hot shower in the morning.

Dick Simonis

Re: Electric Water heater
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:36:48 PM »
The hot water heater is a standalone unit, and does not interface with the Hurricane when operated on electric power.  Once the breaker is on, it should make hot water.  If it doesn't, first check for power at the heating element.  If you have power and no hot water, then the heating element is suspect.  If not, you have a wiring problem.  The only other component is the thermal switch that might (rarely) be bad.  None of the Hurricane switch's need be on.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 03:55:14 PM by 14 »

William Brosam

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 03:52:39 PM »
okay there is power cause when i went to check it with my multimeter it shorted and popped the breaker the first time (wrong setting on multi meter)

sounds like the element or the thermo switch is bad, where do i find that switch?

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:36:50 PM »
If I remember correctly, the thermo switch is very near the heating element and is wired in series with one leg of the element.  If you have power at the element, the switch should be OK.  It's function is to shut of the heater when the temp set point is reached.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 09:13:52 PM »
Quote from: Dick Simonis
If I remember correctly, the thermo switch is very near the heating element and is wired in series with one leg of the element.  If you have power at the element, the switch should be OK.  It's function is to shut of the heater when the temp set point is reached.

I don't know of any externally visible thermostat on my tank.  What is visible at the output connection to the tank is a thermostatically controlled switch (aquastat) which is part of the Hurricane system.  It makes it possible for the Hurricane to turn on if it detects that the water coming out of the electric tank is not hot enough.  This can occur if you are taking a long shower or if you choose to turn the electric tank off when you are plugged into a 30A site.  Don't confuse this with anything related to the electric hot water tank.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 12:55:32 PM »
William,

If your tank is the original you may consider ordering a new one.  Mine is of 1999 Marquis and I just had to replace because it began to leak.  Seaward is the manufacturer and they offer scratch and dent units at a substantial discount.  When mine arrived I could not find either.
Great folks to work with and no need of spending money on a unit that will most likely need replacing soon.

Tom

barbhalsell

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 03:03:41 PM »

William Brosam

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 05:31:41 PM »
thats interesting dialog there im hoping thats not the problem

William Brosam

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 05:33:12 PM »
i dont think the aquastat is not workign cause the diesel runs heats and turns off and kicks in 20-30mins after and reheats and shuts down again.

William Brosam

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 03:20:53 PM »
found out my water heater problem, havent replaced it yet but previous owner installed a 5500 watt 240volt element into my 6gallon 120volt powered hurricane system no wonder it did not work!

William Brosam

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 03:21:33 PM »
called rixens and ordered a 2000watt element and the socket to remove them since i have a 20amp breaker for the water heater.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 01:36:59 AM »
Quote from: William Brosam
found out my water heater problem, havent replaced it yet but previous owner installed a 5500 watt 240volt element into my 6gallon 120volt powered hurricane system no wonder it did not work!

In this case a 5500W 240V heater should draw 23A if properly connected to a 240V source (using P = IV).  That means its resistance is ~10.4 ohms (using Ohm's Law).  When connected to a 120V source the current draw will again be governed by Ohm's Law, V=IR, so the heater will draw 11.5A.  The power when connected to 120V will be P=IV = 11.5A x 120V = 1380 W.  

So compared to the >1500W heater that Rixen is sending you, the heater you have is providing 1380 W.   That isn't all that much of a difference.  My guess is that the current heater simply isn't working properly.

William Brosam

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 03:15:08 AM »
the element inside was melted and destroyed it was not working under any circumstance.

the new 2000watt unit works great warm water quickly so now i can stop burning diesel

William Brosam

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 03:21:07 AM »

yikes! flushed the tank out best i could and covered myself with water park has some real high pressure water