Author Topic: Old Girard Wind sensor cups - more  (Read 7627 times)

Roland DuBree

Old Girard Wind sensor cups - more
« on: May 04, 2013, 09:43:39 PM »
Old Girard wind sensor wind cups. Just bought replacement wind cups from LaCrosse Technology at service@lacrossetechnologyoutlet.com for $9.95 + $3.09 fgt. = $13.04  Beats Girard replacement price of $142.00.
Old sensor cups are on a splined shaft which can be removed with wide blade screwdrive on one side and fingers on other to pull up and off.
The replacement is a "WS-2010-15 Cups G1" from above.  Had to drill new sensor hole larger with 9/64" drill and the just press sensor down on Girard splined shaft and it went on fine!  May have to wait to see how well it works because replacement sensor has slightly smaller cups and may spin slower at Girard adjustment speed of 25 MPH at their 12:00 o'clock position. may have to adjust to 1:00 O'clock.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Old Girard Wind sensor cups - more
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 10:20:43 PM »
Thanks for the info, Roland.  I don't need them yet, but probably will eventually.  As the initiator of this thread, be sure to add tags so we can easily find your details in the future.  ;)

My only concern might be that LaCrosse or Oregon Scientific devices weren't designed for hours of continuous use at 55+ mph, though resistant to relatively short periods of it.  Hopefully they have longevity at least as good as Carefree or Girard cups.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 11:47:45 PM »
Davis Instruments wind cups work great !!!

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 11:41:25 PM »
Thanks for the info Roland, I did order a  LaCrosse Technology"WS-2010-15 Cup model  G1" at service@lacrossetechnologyoutlet.com for $9.95 + $3.09 fgt. = $13.04  you are correct that this beats the Girard replacement price of $142.00.

Our Girard unit may be a little different then yours but I was able to make the G1 unit work on the 06 Pat.
The Girard sensor cup did pull off the same as yours but the shaft comes off with the old cup. I also needed to drill the new G1 out but the hole was larger 11/64th.  I also removed the Magnet pin that was in the G=1.
I then installed the old Girard shaft into the new G-1 Cup and pushed it back into the old housing it seems to be a little stiff but I think is will loosen up with a few miles if driving.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 11:50:55 PM »
Update on the original thread, well I had hoped that the La Crosse WS2010-15 would work as a replacement, but.... I was not able to get the replacement to spool up properly initiating the awn retraction cycle.  After putting about 400 miles on the road hoping that the unit would spin it just never did. I have already gone to Girard for a replacement $142.00 the new units do have a replaceable cup system the older unit that we had.  I was told by the tech at Girard that you could not replace jut the cups this unit has the black upright.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Roland DuBree

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:15:36 PM »
Don't understand. It works fine on my coach.  Did you push it down so far it drags and does not turn freely? When installed it must turn freely by flick of fingers.  All I had to do afterward was readjust inside coach (in fact readjustment was checked and confirmed by a Girard tech at a rally I attended). Per him it's working fine!