Author Topic: Slide Hydraulic leak  (Read 5080 times)

Harvey Ziegler

• BAC Member
Slide Hydraulic leak
« on: May 09, 2013, 05:46:21 PM »
Has anyone replaced a hydraulic hose on the slide operating cylinder.
I have a hydraulic leak on the hydraulic oil cylinder that operates the kitchen curb side slide.Oil is
collecting on top of the basement cuboards and is also getting into the basement. It appears to be
the hose at the back of the small area between the motorhome floor and the top of the basement
cuboards.
Looks like I will need to pull the fresh water tank so that I can get at the lines that are mounted inside
of the frame rails.
Any ideas as how to proceed with this repair would be greatly appricated.
Harvey & Marilyn Ziegler
2004 Monterey  Newport
350 HP Cummins ISC
2010 Jeep Wrangler

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Slide Hydraulic leak
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 10:14:01 PM »
I helped a friend on his Monterey a couple years ago and really was not that bad...  First we measured to see how long the replacement hose should be, then went to the heavy duty truck parts store and had the hose made up.  We bought a union that would let us connect the two hoses (old and new) at the cylinder on the slide end of the system.  Then very carefully, we pull the old hose with new one attached to the end.  We only had two wire ties that got in the way and could get to them without too much trouble.

Good luck,

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 01:55:04 AM »
When the lines on our MH had to be replaced the installer didn't bother to remove the old ones or to match their exact path.  The old hoses were flushed and drained and then new ones were threaded along the frame.  

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 03:01:40 AM »
We had this problem on our older coach. Left the old hoses in. Measured lengths and had two new hoses made up. Connected them to the cylinder with the slide open then ran outside the coach behind the slide. Bored hole into the heated cavities and fished hoses above the holding tanks and bored another hole and fished hoses to the jack/slide control unit (RVA system).  Capped off the two old hoses. worked great.  That was 9 years ago and it still works fine.

Did not attempt to remove the old hoses since they were cable tied to the frame rails and impossible to to access.  The process was easy and just takes some time.

Larry
Larry Fritz

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 06:03:37 AM »
I also found an alternative route for the replacement hose.  Besides removing the water tank, that frame rail is packed with hoses and wires.

Harvey Ziegler

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Thank you all for your suggestions. I ahd not thought about rerouting the new lines as the frame rail is very full.
Now if I can make myself small enough to reach into get at the connection at the rear of the cyclinder as there is
only about 10 to 12 inches between the floor of the motorhome and the top of the basement cuboards and I need
to reach in there about 20 inches.
Will look at it somemore and come up with a plan. Local auto parts store can make up the hoses.
Harvey & Marilyn Ziegler
2004 Monterey  Newport
350 HP Cummins ISC
2010 Jeep Wrangler

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 04:44:19 AM »
Harvey,

You may be able to remove the cylinder and pull out enough slack to disconnect the old hoses.  Then reconnect the new hose and re-install the cylinder.  I routed the new hoses along the outside of the rail behind the slide, then through a hold into the bay, then back to the pump.  Blow air through the old hoses and secure the ends out of the way.  Measure 3 times, before you buy the new hoses.  I cut off one end of the old hose to take in to match on the new hose.  It was an all day job on the road. Good luck.

Larry

Harvey Ziegler

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 01:40:23 AM »
Thanks Larry for your sugestions. I was able to use a stick to extend my reach and turn the flare nut off to remove the old hose.
I then pushed the new hose into place and used the same stick to get the swivial nut started on the 1/4" JIC fitting. Ran the hoses on the top of the basement cuboards and outside of the frame over the suspenion mounts to the control solenoids that are under my front entrance steps. Unfortunatly I did not measure 3 times before I purchased new hoses so 1 is about 8 inches short.  Will get an extension next time I am into the auto parts store to compete the job. Once you folks gave me the idea to reroute the hoses it was not that big of a deal.
Harvey & Marilyn Ziegler
2004 Monterey  Newport
350 HP Cummins ISC
2010 Jeep Wrangler