Author Topic: Lighting questions  (Read 4727 times)

John Padmore

Lighting questions
« on: May 11, 2013, 10:32:03 PM »
I have a rotary dimmer switch above the thermostat in the living area of our '97 Patriot that is marked "Indirect lights" but can't find any lights that it controls. Any thoughts?

Also, there are 2 small round lights above the seats in the drivers compartment. Sometimes they are on, and sometimes they are off. Does anyone know what controls these lights? A mystery to me....! Thanks..... :)

John

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Lighting questions
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 11:42:52 PM »
The lights over your driver, and probably passenger, areas are probably your map lights which are likely controlled the old fashioned way - by rotating your headlight switch fully one way.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

John Padmore

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 07:39:59 PM »
Joel, you are right - LOL! I was getting so frustrated trying to figure these systems out. Thanks for the help! :)

John

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:08:16 PM »
You're welcome.  Wish I could help with your "indirect light" switch.  Dimmers like that obviously dim and brighten by the knob rotating, but some actually switch on and off at full rotation (like your headlight switch), and others switch on and off by pressing the knob in.  Hopefully another '97 Patriot owner will speak up here and advise on which lamps the switch controls exactly.  Sounds like a set of lights behind a valance or upper trim.  The lamps could be shot or a fuse blown too.  Make sure you test in dark conditions with the knob fully one way or the other.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat