Author Topic: Possible Hose Leak in basement pass thru bay  (Read 6145 times)

Larry and Heidi Lee

Possible Hose Leak in basement pass thru bay
« on: May 20, 2013, 11:12:33 PM »
While organizing the pass thru bay (between the water tank and hydro-hot bay) on my 05 Monterey Bayview 4 34, I noticed a hose on the ceiling of the bay amongst a bunch of wiring that is wet. I did not find any puddle or wet spot anywhere in the bay. The fluid on the hose felt a little oily, appeared to be clear and had no scent or odor that I could smell. I ran out of time to investigate so I thought I would ask you guys if you are able to identify this hose.

Thank-you in advance!  

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Possible Hose Leak in basement pass thru bay
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 01:13:34 AM »
Black rubber hose is usually a fuel or coolant line. Could be for instance the engine coolant to Hydro-Hot line.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 02:50:21 AM »
Larry,
I can not tell what the hose is from the picture, but if it can be collapsed by pushing on it with your thumb, it is probably a coolant hose. However if it is very hard and rigid, it is probably a hydraulic hose for jacks, slides, or power steering.

Gerald

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 03:35:24 AM »
Larry, On some 2002 Beavers the factory got a batch of bad hydraulic lines that ran to the front slide. Not sure if that happened again but the fluid was Dexron III red in color. Look for blisters on the hose. You might try to have someone run the slides in and out while you watch that bundle. You could also have someone turn the steering wheel back and fourth with the engine running while you watch. If it is from the Aqua-Hot, the fluid should  be pink for boiler fluid or green or pinkish red for engine anti-freeze.
Marty

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 05:36:36 AM »
As always great advice from Marty, Gerald and Joel. I will take a closer look and report back soon. Thank-you again!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 09:54:32 PM »
I don't think it's a Hydro-Hot boiler fluid line, as they are clear hoses;  you can see the pink through them.  But it could be, as I mentioned, the engine coolant to the HH, or perhaps a leveler hydraulic line.

Neither would I presume yet that it's the hose itself leaking.  Larry apparently didn't find any drippings on the bay floor.  On the other hand, there's no indication it is spray from something rupturing in the bay.  The lack of odor implies coolant to me, though the slight oiliness implies hydraulic fluid, or perhaps just outside hose and loom residue.

My '06 Monterey is configured differently than Larry's, since the HH is in the same bay as the water tank access.  The HH burner fuel line is necessarily short since my diesel tank is just inboard from the HH;  but if I'm reading Larry's right, the hose in question probably isn't the HH fuel line either, and he didn't smell diesel.

I'm curious to hear his report back.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 11:40:12 PM »
I took another look at the "wet" hose in question and what I found is a RED hose shrouded in black split plastic electrical conduit. The hose was very rigid and appears to go over to my hydrohot bay and into the back of the hydrohot. It does not seem to be leaking very much and took only half a paper towel to wipe away the moisture of some clear fluid. If I had to guess I thought it smelled like coolant?

I am at a campground where my site has a big rock next to the hydrohot door so I can't even open the door to look under the cover right now....

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 09:36:12 PM »
If it's solid red it is likely an outbound hot water line.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 04:34:18 AM »
Hi Joel,

I think I was mistaken, it is a 5/8 to 3/4 inch black rubber line that I can squeeze. Doesn't appear to be leaking, could be some residual, I just don't know what to do next.  I guess I will keep an eye on it and report back.  Thanks for your help as always.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 10:32:22 PM »
It does sound residual, from some prior occurence in that bay.  Black rubber implies fuel line to me.  If you've cleaned the residue, all you can do is just watch it and cross your fingers, and fret less as nothing more comes of it in the near future  ;).

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat