Author Topic: Broke the waste fitting off  (Read 3220 times)

John Padmore

Broke the waste fitting off
« on: May 23, 2013, 02:19:51 PM »
Yesterday after picking the coach up from having a new graphic put on the rear, I scraped the high curb and broke the waste elbow off. This morning I was able to take off the tin underneath where the elbow attaches and cut away the small piece of plywood and insulation. Luckilly, only the flanges broke off and nothing else. The elbow attached directly to the waste valve, and another flange of 1 1/2"....not sure where this leads to. A call to Campers World and the pieces are ordered for a total of $36. Whew, I was sweating that one thinking I would need a whole new tank. ??) I need to be a little more careful driving this thing.......

John

Gerald Farris

Re: Broke the waste fitting off
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »
John,
The 3 inch flange goes to the black tank and the 1 1/2 inch flange goes to the gray tank. Normally this fitting is replaced by removing the panel that covers the end of the tanks (usually the water manifold panel) and replacing every thing from the dump valves to the outside. Since dump valves are so cheap, I always replace the dump at the same time. You will be very lucky if you can repair the damage from under the coach, but be careful when cutting anything in the sewer bay flooring, because strength and weather proofing need to be maintained, and there is a lot of equipment in that compartment that the tip of a saw can damage. Also there is metal framing running through the flooring that should never be cut.

Gerald  

John Padmore

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 07:51:22 PM »
Gerald, thanks for the input. There was a piece of "tin" hanging off when I went to look at it initially so I just continued to remove it. I was able to remove some of the "sprayed on insulation" from around the elbow to see inside so I was able to determone nothing was in the way when I cut.  Should have realized the 1 1/2" line went to the grey tank! So for further repairs you are saying I should take out the front of the water panel? Do all the water lines have sufficient length to pull them out a little? That panel seems to be sealed up pretty good....Thanks.....

John

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 10:59:25 PM »
John,
You can move the panel out far enough to get a hand behind it to disconnect everything from the panel to remove it. The water manifolds will stay in place after the 4 clamps (2 for each side) are removed. The knobs just pull off. After the panel is removed, you can see how the tank outlets and dump valves are hooked up to the outlet "Y" fitting.

Some of the SMC coaches did not use a standard "Y" fitting because they drained the washing machine directly into the sewer outlet, so on those coaches, the top of the sewer outlet "Y" has a 3 inch fitting out one side, a 1 1/2 inch fitting out the opposite direction, and a 1 inch fitting going straight up for the washing machine.

Gerald