Author Topic: Cleaning windshield drape with electric cord  (Read 7144 times)

wilmapound

Cleaning windshield drape with electric cord
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:15:31 PM »
We want to dry clean the windshield drape and how can we remove eclectric cord that runs length of drape. How is this removed?? Or does professional cleaner do this??  Signed: Larry Pound 01 Contessa

Gerald Farris

Re: Cleaning windshield drape with electric cord
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 07:49:30 PM »
Assuming that the electric windshield privacy drapes in your 01 Contessa are designed like my 2000 Marquis, the drapes have plastic snaps bonded to the fabric that snap to the hangers that run in the track.

The only electric wires are the ones that run to the motor at the driver's end of the track. The hanger at the leading end of the drapes is tied to the motor with a cable that runs it back and forth as it is wound in and out by the motor, and all of the other hangers just slide with the drapes.

Gerald

Bruce Benson

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 05:38:11 PM »
Our 2001 Marquis has a fold sewn into the drape below the pleats and the motor wire runs through that fold.  It appears that the wire can be unplugged at the motor end and pulled back through the fold.  There is also a plug at the fixed end of the drape so you should unplug it there as well and get the drape off and laying flat and straight before you attempt to pull the wire out.  Take it slow as some of the seams may have folds that it will tend to catch on.  Work around these by pushing the plug through the fabric using the braille method.  It looks like it will be difficult to thread the wire back in, so I would suggest taping a cord to it before you pull it out, pulling the cord in as you pull the wire out, pinning the cord securely on both ends with brass safety pins, clean the drape with the cord in it and use the cord to pull the wire back in after cleaning the drapes.

Just to be clear on this, it is a completely different system from Gerald's.  Ours has a motor that moves on the track and stays at the head of the drape pulling the drape behind it.  It is sort of like a little model train only it hangs from its track rather than sitting upon it.  It chugs from the driver's side to the passenger's side and back, pulling or pushing the drape as appropriate.  It also pulls or pushes its power source which is a wire sewn into the drape.  

I would not trust this job (the wire) to a cleaner.

Bruce
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:19:34 AM by 275 »

wilmapound

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 11:17:51 PM »
[size=14][/size]Thanks Bruce, but after talking to Coit dry cleaner, would not clean with wire in and pleats are sewen into drape after wire inserted so cannot pull wire out.  Talked to Beaver in Bend, Ore. Stated the fire proof rubber backing does not dry clean even we could get the wire out.  Suggests the only solution is order a new drape at approx. $500.  So will probably just spot clean and try to live with it!!  

Bruce Benson

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 05:11:23 AM »
Hum, mine seems like it is in a pocket (or fabric tube) below the pleats.  Once I start trying to pull it out I may find out otherwise.  

Upon a closer examination, I agree that the light blocking liner has a rubbery look and feel to it.  I first thought that it might just be washable in water rather than dry cleaned but then how could you iron it with rubber inside?  Maybe a cool fast iron but that is not my department (nor, apparently is it my wife's).

I have been looking at Camping World for some sort of replacement.  They will make a drape for under $300 or a pleated shade for about $200.  Now, will that work with our motors, our dash and side window height and is it something we would like to look at in our coaches?  I don't know but I plan to look harder.  I am not real happy with the look of our heavy, dark drape.  Perhaps something lighter and cheaper would be more attractive?

Bruce

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 01:58:27 PM »
On our '97 Patriot we washed the privacy drape with no ill effects. Ours does not have the electric however I do not that would be a big issue as long as you do not use any cleaner detrimental to insulation.