Author Topic: What Is Normal Oil Consumption C12  (Read 12157 times)

steve zannella

What Is Normal Oil Consumption C12
« on: May 28, 2013, 04:40:52 PM »
Does anyone know what normal oil consumption is with a C12?
 I have recently noticed about 4 quarts in 7,000 miles seems high to me.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: What Is Normal Oil Consumption C12
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 05:13:34 PM »
Hi Steve, I have the C13 in our 06 thunder we have yet to see any oil usage in the 51,000 miles we have driven, we change the oil every year when we do service normally we drive 4-7000 mile each year.  I do keep an eye on the oil level but it's been a great engine so far. How many miles do you have on your engine? Do you have a leak?
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Richard Cooper

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »
I have C-12 also and did not need to add any oil from April 2012 when it was bought used to May 2013 when it was serviced --- oil changes.  I'm lucky on that front, but unlucky on others.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 05:58:48 PM »
My C12 has not consumed a measurable amount of oil in 10,000 miles.

Any chance yours was overfilled.  My dipstick had new marks scratched into it which suggests the original markings were erroneous.

steve zannella

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:33:04 PM »
Jerry
My mileage is 36500, and no leaks I've driven about 7000 miles since last oil change but didn't check oil level until recently.
I assumed if no oil on the ground and 9 gallons in the crank case, good oil pressure I didn't need to check it that often. Maybe it wasn't full from
last oil change or it wasn't perfectly level when I checked it.
Anyhow the comments seem to be no significant oil consumption with C12 or C13 engines.

Thanks for the comments

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 09:45:18 PM »
Steve,
My 2000 model C-12 is usually at or close to the add mark when I preform my annual oil change. I usually drive between 10,000 and 15,000 miles a year, and I have never had to add oil between changes, but my C-12 is relatively low mileage with only 130,000 miles on it.

Are you sure that your dipstick is properly calibrated? The original markings on the dipstick are normally inaccurate when checking the oil. Every engine in a motorhome needs to have the dipstick calibrated so that you know when the engine is really low on oil because I have seen coaches where the dipstick said that the engine was a gallon low when it was actually full. My dipstick is off 1/2 gallon. I think that the engine builders should have been shipped all dipsticks with no markings on them to force calibration by the coach builder or owner.

Gerald    

Keith Oliver

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 01:33:00 AM »
Dipstick calibration is not always spot on.  I lost a dipstick during an oil change on one of my boat engines, so ordered a new one.  Despite being exactly the specified stick, I had to recalibrate it as it was at least two litres out.  Luckily my stick from the other engine was spot on.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 04:19:00 AM »
Keith,
Most of the problem with dipstick calibration on diesel motorhomes is related to the dipstick tube extension that the coach builders install to make the dipstick accessible. The coach builders have never been very careful when it comes to making the dipstick tube the exact length necessary to prevent having to recalibrate the dipstick.

Gerald

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »
Gerald,

Here is one of my dumb questions. How does one calibrate the dipstick? And, how does one know they need to calibrate the dipstick? I put "calibrate dipstick" in the search and it returned zero results.

Thank you,

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »
Drain the oil, change the filter and refill the amount specified for you engine, run it several minutes and shut down, While on level ground let it drain back 15 minutes or more. Check it and where the oil level is on the dipstick should be the full mark. You can remark the dipstick with a file or take some measurements and calculate how much shorter the tube needs to be and cut it with a tubing cutter with a small rag worked in to below where the cut will be. Pull the rag to remove any metal shards. Be sure to fully seat the dipstick well and check several times when getting the new mark. Tried to save Gerald a few minutes in case he is busy...

Later Ed
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 03:20:00 AM by 910 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 10:03:04 PM »
Stan,
Most Beaver owner's manuals have dipstick recalibration instructions, but if yours does not or you do not have a manual, use Ed's instructions. There is one thing that I do that is a little different than Ed's instruction, and that is when I refill the engine after the oil and filter change I refill the engine oil except for one gallon. I then run the engine and let it set for drain back, then mark the dipstick for the add mark. then add the last gallon and mark the full mark.  

Gerald

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 10:06:41 PM »
Steve,
My previous coach was an '04 Marquis Garnet with a C12. It would burn 2-4 quarts in the 12,000 miles we put on yearly. I currently have a C15 and it doesn't burn or loose a drop. Go figure. While I totally agree with Gerald and the others about calibrating your dipstick...if you park the coach in the same place each time you check the oil and have it leveled you should be able to accurately estimate oil levels. I always measure oil levels at the same place with my coach leveled at my home base. How many total miles on your '04?
Steven Link
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15