Author Topic: Slide Rubber Repair  (Read 3975 times)

Ron Johnson

Slide Rubber Repair
« on: May 30, 2013, 03:29:23 AM »
About 3 feet of the rubber seal underneath the LR\Kitchen slide drivers side has ripped and was hanging down.I can see where it is cracked in a few other areas further along. It appears the original slide rubber consisted of a horizontal thicker rubber part affixed to the steel rail then the thinner part that slid along the bottom of the slide was 90 degrees vertical.

I can't see how to remove the horizontal part so was going to get a 3"" to 4" rubber strip and glue it to the vertical metal rail so it seals. Has anybody done this  or had it done? Any comments appreciated.

Gerald Farris

Re: Slide Rubber Repair
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 05:32:48 AM »
Ron,
If I understand you right, you want to replace the wiper seal across the bottom of the kitchen slide. That wiper seal is held on with a pop-riveted metal strip on most SMC era coaches. To replace it you have to drill out the pop-rivets to remove the metal strip, and use pop-rivets to reinstall it with the new wiper seal.

Gerald

Ron Johnson

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 01:25:11 AM »
Thank you Gerald I'll be looking at that tomorrow and then probably calling Beaver Coach Sales.

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 09:21:36 PM »
I installed my new seal with stainless self tapping screws. That was over two years ago and all is well.

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 03:44:13 AM »
Ron,

I had the same problem with my 05 Monterey slide, although mine was ripped the entire length.  After trying many sources for an original replacement, I gave up and bought a 4 inch wide piece of rubber.  If you are handy you can do this yourself.  You have to drill out the old rivits.  Easy job.  Remove the metal strip.  Pull off old rubber and clean mounting area.  Use double sided sticky tape to hold new rubber in place while you rivit the metal strip back on.  I was able to buy those rivits from NAPA.  It took me about 2 hours.

Dennis