Author Topic: Coach Weight  (Read 4895 times)

Ron Johnson

Coach Weight
« on: May 31, 2013, 01:44:38 AM »
The max front weight allowed on my Coach is 13,200 .. I have never been within a 1000lbs of that as my generator is on the driver's side not the front. The rear weight max is  19.500 and it is never under 20,500 to 21,000. The rig has 2 drivers side slides and typically this side is 1000 heavier than the passenger side. I air the tires to the heaviest corner i.e. 110 lb on GY 275\70\22.5.

I don't think I had much carrying capacity to start with. However, knock on wood, I run 110 in the tires, I rotate them, the Coach spends half the year in BC which is  not as hard on the tires, plus the original set of tires which were still on the Coach when I bought it 6 years ago were GY 159s and I replaced them with 169s.

My question is, is there a chance that Beaver derated the back axle for some reason and that it actually is a 21,500 axle??

Joel Weiss

Re: Coach Weight
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 02:07:56 AM »
We have exactly the same situation.  I discussed it with my Michelin dealer when I bought tires and he said that the wear patterns on my old tires showed no evidence of overloading of the rear axle.  His view was that there is always a ~10% margin built into these things anyway and not to worry about it.  

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if SMC/Beaver was concerned about the Federal law that limited axle weight to 20,000 lbs.  That law, of course, has now been amended for MH's, buses, etc, but at the time our coaches were built it would have been something very real to have been worried about.  From their perspective it would have been better to claim the vehicle had only 19,500 on the axle which, at least, made it theoretically legal when delivered.

Ron Johnson

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 08:34:47 PM »
Thanks for the response. It makes me feel better to know someone else has virtually the same Coach with the same issue and not experiencing problems.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 09:03:33 PM »
When I had mine weighed, we were very close to max axle wts but not full timing I don't carry a lot of "stuff" so I'm satisfied.  With my new Hankook tires I figured out the tire pressure should be ~105 front and 95 rear so I chose 115 frt and 105 rear on the grounds if a "little does a little good a lot does a lot of good".  I can't tell if it rides harder or not but it's a lot better than the old Toyos.

I also figure there a quite a few Beavers with this situation and if it truly was a problem....well someone would have experiences something awry.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:28:31 PM by 5 »

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 01:07:00 AM »
FWIW, my very anal-retentive Michelin guy calculated with some precision that I should run 108 psi in front/98 psi rear on Michelin XZE2+ Load Rang J.  I usually run 110/100 which I figure is sufficient, especially since we have reduced what we carry a bit since when we were last weighed.  

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 03:01:37 AM »
Not saying anyone should not be concerned, but over thinking this takes more years away than reality of problems with air pressure.  Just buy 16 ply tires and keep proper air pressure and roll on life is top short.
The idiots on the road are far more a danger.

Ron Johnson

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 07:59:29 PM »
Well said .. I'm done with this topic .. just feels good to have finally shared. remain a happy guy with a beautiful Coach.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 10:08:10 PM »
Somewhere along the line, someone did get concerned at the plant. My 2002 Thunder (and several others I've seen) came from the factory with a 21,000lb.rear axle. I am so glad, because with all my wife's "stuff" back there I weigh 20,980lbs. back there. LOL
Marty

Bill Sprague

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 11:05:35 PM »
At the beginning of the 2004 model run for the Monterey, the rear axle was rated at 20,000, as well as listed that way in the Brochure.  The placard behind the driver says 20,000.  A few weeks after I signed all the papers and before it was loaded with much of our stuff, I weighed it.  It was overweight.  I was not smart to make an issue with Monaco.  I should have.  Those that did got bigger axles when the warranty was fresh.

Somewhere in mid year they started putting in new axles at 23,000 in Montereys and the brochure was changed.  

Every single one of our 100,000 miles has been overweight.  

The only useful advice I got about the overweight issue was, "You can't fix it, so relax and enjoy the drive."