Author Topic: Refrigerant with stopleak  (Read 11520 times)

Bill Sprague

Re: Refrigerant with stopleak
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »
Quote from: Edward Buker
Bill,

My comments on the various parts are for the previous post photo. On the photo included on my post you should see the pulley end of the compressor and the two silver right angle pipes coming out of the top of the compressor. You should then see a red and blue plastic cap on the ports coming off of those right angle pipes on the top of those bends.

Later Ed
I was talking about Stan's picture, not yours!  

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
Quote from: Edward Buker
In the photo the black can unit is the receiver dryer which holds the desiccant. The unit on top with the wires is the pressure switch that controls the condenser fans and the compressor low pressure shut down. Could be just one of these functions but it probably controls both. The ports you are looking for most likely are on a section of metal pipe and will have a blue plastic cap on it for the low side and a red plastic cap for the high side pressure line. Mine are by the compressor in the rear (in the photo) but Beaver had many various locations. Sometimes the caps are black and not color coded.

Bill, thanks for the info on the sealer.

Later Ed

Ed,

I found this today in the engine compartment. I couldn't find a blue one. I'll have to take off the air intake hose which is in the way, and move a couple of other things to see if there is a blue cap in there somewhere. Really crowded. It would have been nice to see the same as in your picture. Thanks.

Stan

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gerald Farris

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 07:14:12 PM »
Stan,
Your picture is of the A/C high pressure service port. This port is used to read system operating pressures only. The A/C low pressure port (blue cap) is used to check operating pressures and add refrigerant.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 04:07:31 AM »
Stan,

More than likely the low side ports are nearby on the other hose that comes out of the compressor. Take heed of Gerald's comment about the high side port.... If you were using a set of gauges that have both a high side and low side valve and you opened the high side valve by mistake you would be connecting a thin refrigerant can, made for low side pressures of typically less than 30lbs, to pressures of over 200lbs. I'm not sure that can would hold up to the pressures. The high side gauge will read without opening the valve so as long as you start out with the high side valve closed you should be fine. If you are using a can of refrigerant set up just to attach to the low side only, that is safer given the high and low side ports are different sizes just for safety sake so you cannot inadvertently connect to the high side. If you plan on adding R134A charge to the system for the first time you may want to find someone that is familiar with this operation.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 04:36:06 AM by 910 »