Author Topic: Applying a Roof Coating to our '02  (Read 4685 times)

Mike and Cathy Cleghorn

Applying a Roof Coating to our '02
« on: December 02, 2014, 09:39:17 PM »
We are planning to have the roof of our 2002 Marquis coated this month in Palm Springs with SOLATEK #751. A number of lot owners have had this material applied to their 5th Wheel RVs, and motor homes, including some Beaver owners. All seem to be very pleased. The person applying the product will first sand the entire roof, then, using brush application, apply three coats, allowing drying time between each coat.

My question is, does anyone know of reasons not to have this product applied? Please give us input! 8)

The info describing SOLATEK #751, taken from their website is as follows:

Manufactured using modified Acrylic elastomer resins of the highest quality without the addition of plasticizers. Production is rigidly controlled to assure uniformity of quality in every batch of materials. SOLATEK #751 is a water-based, high solids elastomeric coating utilizing the latest advances in acrylic technology. Premium quality acrylic resins are combined with reinforcing laminar pigments, an effective biocide package and non-migrating fire retardants, resulting in superior durability, weatherproofing, ultraviolet resistance, algae/mildew resistance and fire retardancy. SOLATEK WHITE and SOLATEK INFRASHIELD are highly reflective, permanently flexible “breathing” membranes, allowing moisture vapor from the substrate or building interior to escape while remaining impervious to mass water penetration from the exterior.

BASIC USES

SOLATEK #751 was especially developed for extending the life of metal, built-up, modified bitumen, concrete, Hypalon, EPDM, spf, or composite shingle roofs. SOLATEK #751 forms a waterproof elastomeric seal, uniformly covering the textured profile of various substrates to form a monolithic membrane, providing protection from normal weathering, aging and ultraviolet exposure.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Applying a Roof Coating to our '02
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 10:27:35 PM »
Mike,
Although fiberglass isn't listed as one of the substrates, it will probably perform OK since it does list metal in addition to the rubberized and asphalt substrates. Question I'd ask the satisfied owners, especially the Beaver owners is how long they've had it.
What are you trying to accomplish with the re-coat; i.e. eliminate "chalking, improve appearance, seal some cracking on roof surface, etc? There are a number of good threads on this topic on the forum. 2 of the more popular coatings written up are Rustoleum Deck Paint (improves appearance and stops chalking) and a Dicor product that does these and covers light cracking in the fiberglass.

Good, Luck, Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 11:31:24 PM »
I coated a 94 Safari with 3 coats of Dicor elastomeric coating 6 years ago. I coated it with a couple of coats after 2 and 4 years after without sanding the overcoats. I cleaned the surface and removed the air conditioners and vents the 1st time . I used a Dicor 4" tape on all 4 sides of air conditioner and vent holes in the roof.(the dicor tape has a scrim on top that is similar to cheese cloth so the elastomeric coating will stick to it and did not peal. I also added the tape to all 4 sides of the skylight over the shower. After cleaning and sanding I applied the dicor coating and used 3 gallons. (the coach was 34' and two gallons was not quite enough.) I saved the balance of the last can for any repairs I might need. I have never had a leak in that coach in 6 years after. I did not have to sand just cleaned the surface after 2 and 4 years. I have since done my Beaver last summer the same way. I am on the Oregon coast and the annual rainfall is over 100 inches a year. (my son now owns the Safari and lives near me) The only problem I ran into was on one section I finished coating late in the afternoon and in the morning I had a heavy dew on that part that curled up. After the afternoon sun I sanded and reapplied it and then added two more coats. Both of these coaches have low spots near the air conditioners where the weight has taken its toll over the years and it puddles up but still no leaking.
 I used to own a truck tarp manufacturing plant and am familiar with plasticizers. You said they had no plasticizers in their product. In coated vinyls that I worked with the more the plasticizer the softer and more pliable the tarps were however Plasticizer is a gas and evacuates the pvc tarps and makes them hard and brittle after a few years. Makes me wonder about the product you are talking about. with no plasticizer it seems to me to be extremely stiff and with a motorhome going down the road you get a tremendous amount of twisting and moving even when you use your levelers. If you have it installed and it does not work you may not be able to get anything to stick to it if you need to redo it. Just my thought. I do not know about cost but I did my own work and my son helped me take the air conditioners off and on again. No labor the dicor was about 80 dollars a gallon and I used tape cheap rollers and brushes and dicor  self leveling sealer for under the solar panels and the sewer vents.Good Luck (PS Dicor makes a coating for fiberglass roofs and another one for rubber roofs make sure if you use it to get the right one. )
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 11:34:16 PM by Gary Wolfer »

Matthew Harger

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 11:49:30 PM »
Recently had a similar type product put on our roof and am very happy with it so far......looking forward to not having to mess with the Dicor sealant anymore.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,3914.msg30149.html#msg30149