Author Topic: Pocket Door Stuck in  (Read 6838 times)

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
Pocket Door Stuck in
« on: June 05, 2013, 11:19:53 PM »
2004 Marquis (Garnett), the bedroom pocket door was left in an unlocked position and is now stuck.  The leading face of the door is about 1.5"-2" beyond flush with the door frame.  I can get my hands on the door but it won't budge.

Is there any way to gain better access?  Not possible on the shower side but on the bedroom side is a full-length mirror.  Can that and the panel upon which it's mounted be removed to expose the door?  I'd rather not go to that length but the boss really wants that door working again.  All ideas welcome.

Greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Pocket Door Stuck in
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 12:01:15 AM »
I'll bet we are thinking the same problem has occurred... the door has defeated the "open stop" and allowed the inner roller to go off the end of the suspension rail/track.  Can you tell if the door is tilted slightly down towards the inner, hidden end behind the wall?  If so, then the inner roller has probably ran off the end of the suspension rail.  If this all seems as it is, can a piece of lathe be pushed under the door to raise the inner end of the door to try to get the inner roller back up on the track while gently pulling on the door?  Just a thought...  One thickness of lathe may not be enough thickness to raise it sufficiently.

Now... if I extrapolate to your next problem, it will the that defeated "open stop."  I hope it's not broken out of position... but I would guess it is.  The upper suspension rail/track looks much like a piece of kindorf used in electrical wiring supports.  If the "open stop" is broken, then you may have to open the wall behind the mirror anyways... to repair it.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 02:07:39 AM »
Rick,
I do not see anyway to repair the door without opening the wall to gain access to the track. If the door roller can be coaxed back into the track by just raising the inside edge of the door, there is no way that it will stay there as you travel unless you repair the stop that let it fall off of the track.

Gerald

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 03:12:49 AM »
Not the news I was hoping for but...

Is there an easy way to open up that wall?  

The door has a lock that extends into a block on the floor to lock it into place.  Had that been set correctly then it wouldn't have traveled in so far and wouldn't be stuck.  If I can get it moving again I'll make sure that lock gets set.
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 03:31:20 AM »
It sounds like a big issue but you may want to give the guy's in Bend (BCS) a call they may have seen your issue before they have a great wood shop and the guy that runs this did work at the factory. I would sure give the a call before I started pulling things apart.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 03:35:55 AM »
I was thinking that too, Rick.  If you are able to get the inside roller back up onto the suspension track, then making sure it is locked open in place would allow you to make repairs at some later date and place to your liking, or even at an RV repair shop.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »
Had a similar issue last year, but ours wasn't stuck;  it just wouldn't go all the way back in and lock for travel, slamming open and shut on every curve until I blocked it.  The guys at BCS fixed it, and I think they removed the wood ceiling molding at the top that hides the mechanism, so they could swing the door out to make the fix, but I'm not certain.  

Removing that molding might give you more visibility at least and that is always primal to engineering a fix.  I know on ours they cut an inch or so off the back vertical door edge so the thing would roll back far enough, so something inaccessible deep inside must have fallen out of place.  Yours certainly sounds like a jammed guide roller;  maybe removing molding would allow a rod of some sort to reach back and pry it loose enough to move the door out, or give you a better grip somewhere up along the track.

Like Jerry says, give BCS a buzz.  They've been there, done that many times.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:24:48 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat