Author Topic: Living room slide won't open  (Read 3503 times)

John Fearnow

Living room slide won't open
« on: June 08, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »
arrived in OK City this afternoon.  Good news is there is no current tornado threat.  the bad news is that our living room slide will not extend.  The hydraulic pump is working and the slide try's to extend but gets hung up at the back end.  I noticed when we were setting up in the camp site that from the outside the front edge of the slide was actually about a half inch inside the body of the coach rather than flush with it.

We are on our way to Corpus Christi, TX.  Does anyone know of a good repair facility for this type of problem between OK City and Corpus Christi.   Couple of years ago we were told that Iron Horse RV in San Antonio did good work of this type.  Has anyone been there more recently?   I assume driving the coach for that type of distance won't risk more damage?

John Fearnow
2002 Patriot Thunder w/ two slides

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Living room slide won't open
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 12:57:03 AM »
If you are in OK City, call George Harwell.  He lives there and I am sure he can give you a good repair shop in the vicinity or enroute.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 06:18:51 AM »
Hi John,

I do not know of any facility, but you may want to call BCS and see what they have to say. I seem to remember a conversation that I had with Sean at BCS about slide alignment and I think he said if it got out of alignment it could be caused by one of the rack and pinion gears jumping a tooth. You seem out of alignment side to side possibly causing the binding. I think he said that they actually jack the slide up and realign the proper gear teeth if that happened. This is a vague recollection so you may want to talk to the folks in Bend.

We will be in Bothell for the month of July if you end up that way,

Later Ed

John Fearnow

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 02:25:48 AM »
thanks Roy and Ed.  problem is solved.  There is a bar that runs between the front and rear housing for the extension arms.  The small pin holding the front end of the bar in place had broken.  Pin was replaced and the slide works normally.  the guy who solved the problem was recommended by the host at Tinker AFB FamCamp.  He works on his own from his barn West of Norman.  He analyzed the problem correctly based on what I told him and fixed it in 30 mins for a charge of $10.00.  even w/ a tip still a great deal.  He goes by the name of Country RV.  if you can get to his place he'll look at it right away.

Now I have a problem with my Datron 3000 antenna that won't stow.  Happended before and It is probably the limit switches.  probably time to get a new SAT TV system.

We will see you in Bothell Ed.

John F
2002 Patriot C-12

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 03:43:22 AM »
Nice John, nothing but a pin, the Gods were with you. I do spray my rack and pinion gears and bushings with a dry lube spray and the slide seems to move easier. I use that same spray on the manual battery tray rollers and frame and it slides much easier after I do it, so I know it must help the slide mechanicals also. I mention this just in case yours is moving hard and that led to breaking the pin. This is one of those things that just cannot hurt.... I do it  once in awhile when the slide is out.

See you in Bothell..

Later Ed