Author Topic: Poor water flow  (Read 10651 times)

Bob Jae

Poor water flow
« on: June 11, 2013, 03:39:39 AM »
We made our first trip our new to us 2006 Monterey.  We were hooked to city water and my watts regulator was set to 55psi.  When opening a tap we would get a second or two of good water flow then the flow would slow down as well as the pressure would drop down.  It was enough to wash dishes and with the oxygenics shower head you could get a decent shower.  So I took the regulator out of the circuit with the same results.  Turning on the water pump would slightly increase the flow and pressure.  The culligan level 3 drinking water filter is just barely dribbling after a second or two of good flow.  My guess is its the pressure restrictor at the city water hookup in the water bay.

Has anyone changed this out with a part that does not restrict the flow and if so what is the part you used.  Thanks

Edward Buker

Re: Poor water flow
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 04:14:33 AM »
This is a 65PSI version of what is likely a 50PSI original regulator that is in your coach now. This version was designed for better flow. It is likely that your unit is defective or partially plugged. Some folks have removed the regulator and just use a check valve arrangement but that requires that you always use an external regulator which is wise anyway. I do not have the PN for that arrangement but if you do a forum search I think it has been provided before. The 65PSI version would be a big improvement and an easy job to replace what you have now. This can be done without removing the panel.

Later Ed

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 06:45:42 AM »
Bob, there was a thread a few weeks ago that I started asking a similar question.   I replaced the regulator/check valve unit with one rated at 65psi.  It helped with the flow problem, but now if I want to protect the hose at the faucet end, I need another regulator, which seems to restrict the flow.  I briefly looked for the same style inlet with just a check valve and no regulator but couldn't find one that would match the original size and shape.  Ideally I'd like just the check valve on the coach, then an adjustable regulator between the hose bibb and hose.  If you have any luck finding just the check valve to fit in the same hole in the water bay, let me know (I am assuming yours is like mine)

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 06:47:41 AM »
Here is the original thread:

http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1367254256/s-13/highlight-City+water/#num13

Has some pics and link for the replacement valve.  

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 02:00:20 PM »
We replaced the Sureflo with a 1/2 inch check valve and a whole house pressure regulator.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 06:58:35 PM »
Quote from: Richard And Babs Ames
We replaced the Sureflo with a 1/2 inch check valve and a whole house pressure regulator.

x2

And, I put the "whole hose regulator" from Lowe's on the spigot so the hose is protected as well.  

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 01:41:22 AM »
I'm sure this isn't the OP's issue, but more than one RVer has discovered that similar symptoms can result from "gunk" clogging the inlet screen on the city water connection.  A number of years ago, when we owned a different MH, I almost made myself crazy trying to track down the reason for our low water flow.  It turned out that the little screen was virtually plugged by "stuff".   It was trivial to correct, once I found it, but finding it took longer than I would like to admit.   ;)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 03:15:44 AM »
That makes two Joel's with the same opinion.  And my experience is that many water filter designs impede flow as well.  One unfiltered extended visit to a CG with high calcium water could plug every faucet screen/filter too, like Joel W.'s "stuff" at the source end.  Certainly it could be a regulator issue, but the above possibilities are easy to check and resolve.

Joel A.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Jae

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 04:46:33 AM »
I have ordered the newer 65psi city water inlet.  Thanks for all the comments.

Richard Cooper

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 08:59:33 AM »
Quote from: Bob Jae
I have ordered the newer 65psi city water inlet.  Thanks for all the comments.

I too have ordered it.  Hope it helps with my own pressure flow issues.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 03:07:55 PM »
FYI, I just looked at these on the Shuflo website trying to verify the 65 psi rating and was unable to do so.  Shurflo shows two of these entry plates with the OEM rated at 65 and an aftermarket at 50 psi so it's a bit confusing as to which one Amazon is selling...they don't appear to publish the specs.  Both carry the same P/N.

Richard Cooper

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 06:50:06 PM »
Mine will arrive today and I will let you know what they are selling.  If it's not a Shurflo rated 65psi, they will be getting it back.  However, none of the reviews complained about that.

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 08:41:16 AM »
The one I ordered from Amazon was 65psi.

Bob Jae

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 05:17:59 PM »
The new City Inlet arrived today and it definitely says its 65 PSI.  Will try to attach picture.  I thing the inline one that ShurFlo sells is the 50psi one.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:32:45 PM by 10130 »

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 06:52:04 AM »
Bob, there was a 50psi valve in my 98.  Replaced it with the 65 and it made a noticeable difference.  You may have different issue beings yours is already a 65psi.  Wish I had more info for you.  At one point I was reading an article about the difference between a pressure regulator, like one you would use in your house which mechanically reduces the incoming pressure, and a pressure restrictor which forces the water through a small hole thus reducing pressure but also restricting flow (I may have read this in a BAC thread)  Typically on RV's, we get pressure restrictors.  I'd like to find a check valve only which fits in the space in the water bay, like the Shurflo, then add a true adjustable pressure regulator, but I haven't been able to find that check valve yet. I'm sure there is a work around, but at the moment I'm not inclined to make it up.