Author Topic: Hurricane fuel line  (Read 3172 times)

Joel Weiss

Hurricane fuel line
« on: June 11, 2013, 06:36:10 PM »
Does anyone know where I am likely to find the spot where the Hurricane's fuel line meets the fuel tank?  ITR and I are beginning to suspect that there is either a crack in the fuel hose somewhere between the tank and the Hurricane's fuel filter or possibly a crack in the fitting itself.  The resulting symptoms are periodic air bubbles in the Hurricane's fuel line that aren't explainable any other way.  I assume the tank would have to be drained so that the fitting or hose could be replaced.  Not a pleasant thought and I'm trying to understand how complicated a job this might end up being.

Gerald Farris

Re: Hurricane fuel line
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:21:08 PM »
Joel,
If the only problem that you are having is an occasional air bubble, why not install a fuel return line. This can be done by running a fuel hose from the fuel bleeder valve on top of the Hurricane to one of the fuel return lines going to the tank. Install a 1/64 inch orifice in the hose and leave the bleeder valve open. This will establish a very slight fuel flow that will carry any air bubbles back to the fuel tank, but it will not reduce the fuel flow to the Hurricane burner.

Gerald    

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 01:32:47 AM »
Gerald,

I like the $$ sound of that suggestion.  I assume this works because the bypass is a vertical path which air bubbles would preferentially follow.  

When we installed a spin on fuel filter this year, in place of the tiny inline one that had been installed as OEM, we also added a extension line to the fuel bleeder valve so its output could be directed into a container rather than the ground.  It would be a relatively simple matter to further extend this to do as you suggest.

Thanks for the idea,
Joel

Ron Johnson

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 03:50:00 AM »
I did that about 5 years ago and have had no fuel issues since.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 04:30:22 PM »
Quote from: Ron Johnson
I did that about 5 years ago and have had no fuel issues since.

Apparently only Country Coach was using this approach on Hurricane systems installed in its coaches produced when ours were.  I definitely intend to have this done.  Thanks for the suggestion.