Author Topic: Air leveling compressor  (Read 3196 times)

Ron Langdon

Air leveling compressor
« on: June 13, 2013, 09:31:58 AM »
Resolved the problem of the compressor cycling on for short bursts thanks to Gil, et al. Now however it comes on usually once a day and runs for 50-60 minutes. Is this normal? Not hearing other coaches with same equipment doing this. Fixed air leaks when fixing earlier problem. Becomes increasingly problematic at or around 1:00am.
Any thoughts? Thanks

Gerald Farris

Re: Air leveling compressor
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 02:48:05 PM »
Ron,
If your air leveling compressor has to run for 50 to 60 minutes just to pressurize your tank, I would suspect an underperforming compressor. Your compressor should be able to pressurize the system in about 10 minutes if the coach is not actively trying to level itself and using up a lot of air.

The factory installed compressor has a fairly low CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating, and it does not have a sealed motor. If you ever have to replace the factory installed compressor, I would recommend using a higher CFM rated compressor with a sealed motor like one of the Viair units.

Gerald    

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 11:49:59 PM »
We had a similar problem with our Ford F550 air suspension.  The problem ended up being a check valve and the drain plug at the bottom of the tank.  We actually replaced the compressor before we figured out what the real problem was.
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Robert Mathis

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 12:47:13 AM »
Ron, mine just ran to top the system off. It took about 60 seconds, and I have leveled 4 times in the last 4 days without it coming on until now. I suspect you still have a problem.

Ron Langdon

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 04:31:23 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts, guys. Replaced the check valve earlier. Gerald's idea about an "under performing" compressor, seems plausible. Since this is not critical to travel, I'm going to sleep on it until we get the time to visit Bend.