Author Topic: Wait to travel light  (Read 7129 times)

Bob Jae

Wait to travel light
« on: June 18, 2013, 03:03:56 AM »
We made a 280 mile trip from near Buffalo, NY to Mount Joy, PA today.  About 100 miles into the trip the wait to travel light came on.  I pulled into a rest stop and ran it thru an auto level cycle and then back to travel mode.  All seemed well.  I pulled out and shortly it came on again. I pushed the travel mode button every 2 minutes for quite a while and finally gave up on that.  We made it to the GAIN distribution center where we are packing items for missions work for the week.  The coach rode like a bucking bronco but we made it.  This evening I had time to check it out and it seems that when in travel mode the air is going out of the front suspension.  I have air leveling and it seems to be holding just fine this evening.  So I am hoping to get this checked out while I am down here before the trip home.  The coach is low in the front but the tires are not rubbing even when I turn.  The rear of the coach looks normal.  Could it be the ride control valve?

We are near Lancaster County/Hershey area.  Any recommendations on shops or RV repair?] would be welcome.

Thank You.

Gerald Farris

Re: Wait to travel light
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 03:32:13 AM »
Bob,
The low in front and hard ride sounds like the front height sensor, but I do not think that it will turn on the wait to travel light. However, I could be wrong. You just need some good trouble shooting. The easiest thing to fix is the low in front problem, and it may solve everything when it is corrected.

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 06:16:01 AM »
Sounds similar to what's happened to me and others, and it was the ride control arm linkage.  Apparently it's a common failure point.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Sean Donohue

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 06:25:53 AM »
Isn't that the arm that can be dangerous to adjust because it will lower the RV suddenly with potential crush injuries?

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 01:39:42 PM »

Adjusting any ride height valve arm is high risk.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:27:45 AM by 5 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 03:30:12 PM »
I do not recommend that anyone who is not familiar with suspension repairs to perform any height control repair or adjustment without the recommended safety stands. If you are not totally competent in repairing the system, it can be dangerous. However, with the proper knowledge and equipment, it is a very easy repair.

Gerald  

Bob Jae

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 12:09:38 AM »
Thanks for the help.  I am taking it to a Truck and RV repair place tomorrow near Lancaster PA.  Coach-Net gave me the place and I talked to them and they sound like they know what they are doing.  My book says 10" for the ride height measured between the air bag mounting plates.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 03:42:01 AM »
10" is the number for between the bag plates for our '06 Monterey.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Jae

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »
I drove down to Big River Truck and Auto repair this morning at 8am.  They had me pull right in and we aired up the front suspension.  They put jackstands  in position and quickly found the rubber linkage was broke.  They had a kit in stock and replaced the parts that needed replacing.  I had them check the ride height following the procedure in the book it was right at 10".  Paid the bill and was back where we are staying by 10am.  One hour labor which it took him and the linkage kit.  With tax $106.38.  No one hurt and the coach rides like it should again.
Thanks for the help again.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 08:51:42 PM »
Glad we could help and were on the right track, Bob.

If memory serves me, and it regularly doesn't, one or more Forum members here modified the rubber and clamp connection on that linkage, since it so commonly fails.  If so, I for one would appreciate hearing again from them about the nature of the change.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Jae

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 01:32:47 AM »
That would be a good fix.  Maybe make the part out of nylon instead of rubber.