Author Topic: finding and repairing water damage  (Read 5838 times)

Pam Chace

finding and repairing water damage
« on: June 18, 2013, 12:45:47 PM »
Hi-I am a soon to be owner of a 1999 Monterey Redondo. We are buying it at a very low price due to the many repair issues that will have to be confronted. All mechanicals check out, but we discovered a water leak originating from the anemometer above the awning. There is water damage in the coach and the water can currently get into the coach through the roof.
The current damage is thought to be confined to the wall behind the passenger seat.
The floor was wet when we looked at the coach so I have to check the floor.

My question is :
Is a tool available that repair shops use to detect damage by water in a coach? A probe? A hydrometer?
How would a repair facility check for damage without pulling up carpet and opening up a wall?

Thank you
Pam Chace

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: finding and repairing water damage
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 01:14:36 PM »
Hi Pam, Congratulations on you new Beaver your question about a Moisture Meters for Inspecting wood is available we used them to check content all the time you should be able to find a good one on line.http://www.nachi.org/moisture-meters.html
Welcome to the club
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 01:44:27 PM »
Some shops have a device (fan in a box) that fits over a roof vent and puts a positive pressure in the motorhome. They then check seals and seams with a leak detection fluid (soapy water).  
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 06:04:55 PM by 72 »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 03:54:28 PM »
Pam,
The wall in a coach is not necessarily damaged if it gets wet and the leak is repaired and the coach is allowed to dry out. However, if the leak is over a long period it can cause many serious problems from delamination to rotten wood.

Unless the anemometer is missing or was never sealed, I find it hard to believe that it is the only source of you leak if there is as much water as your post implied. The awning mounting box, window frame seals, clearance lights, and the roof to wall seam are all common water leak areas that should be checked by a competent technician. More problems are caused, and money is probably wasted by incompetent technicians with a tube of silicone trying to repair a water leak.

Gerald    

Pam Chace

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:53:40 PM »
Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. We are picking up a moisture meter at Home Depot and taking it with us when we do our final check of this motorhome. The gentleman who owns the coach now, took off the anemometer because it was causing the awning to retract every time there was a little bit of wind. I think that you can adjust that, but perhaps he didn't know. someone tried sealing around the spot, but did a lousy job, leaving a small hole where the water could get in. We are hoping that it wasn't that way too long and that there is not too much damage. My husband can fix almost anything, although this is risky not knowing how extensive the leak is. The first thing we will do IF we buy it, is get the roof professionally sealed. I'll keep you posted.
Pam Chace

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 09:17:38 PM »
Pam,

As Gerald has indicated, you need to evaluate all possible causes of leaks in this coach.  The roof is not the only thing to consider.  One on the biggest problems on this style coach are the front and rear marker lights....  Also, a major problem is the front cap sidewall sealing strip on the driver's side above the window.  The gutters should also be checked and I would recommend the skylight be replaced and resealed as well.  

As Gerald additionally mentioned, the awning mounting box can be a source for water leaks.  Some of these sources can be very difficult to find because the water leak evidence may not necessary be in the area that your leak is coming.  Just a word of caution about the professionals that use these pressure leaks systems, they are only as good as the technician using them.

Good luck,

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 02:34:20 AM »
In answer to your second question, "How would a repair facility check for damage without pulling up carpet and opening up a wall?"...

1. Sight: Obvious wetness in the material, be it a wood surface or cloth/paper surface.  As noted, it's the prolonged wetness that causes the damage, not simply the fact it's wet.
2. Sight: Bulges in the surface of either wood surfaces or cloth/paper-covered surfaces.  The bulges are caused by separation and/or delamination of a wall/ceiling/floor's interior materials.
3. Sight: Discoloration of a surface, be it either a wood or cloth/paper-covered wall/ceiling/floor.
4. Feel: Softness when pressing on a surface where you would not expect the surface to be soft, such as a wood surface.
5. Feel: Rubbing your bare hand across the surface might reveal a texture change due to damage.  For example, water damaged wood will usually become rough and grainy to the touch.
6. Sound: Lightly tapping or light knuckle tapping on a wall will reveal a possible damaged area by changes in tone to your ear.
7. Sight: Removing a metal screw at/on/over a suspected damaged area may reveal rusted threads or a severely damaged screw due to prolonged water presence.
8. Smell: Depending upon the material sustaining the damage, you might smell mold, mildew, etc.

Bottom line:  If you do not want to pull up carpet or open a wall, then you have to use your senses (sight, feel, sound, smell) to make an educated guess as to the presence of damage.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!