Author Topic: Towing capacity  (Read 3755 times)

Pam Chace

Towing capacity
« on: June 18, 2013, 11:02:29 PM »
Hi again,
Here is a question from my husband, Tom about towing capacity.

What is the tow capacity of a 1999 36' Beaver Monterey Redondo with a 330 HP CAT?

Is the weight strict and what is it restricted by IE transmission, suspension, brakes?

Is there any way to adjust the coach to a higher towing weight?  Maybe tow dolly or trailer brakes or using a tow bar?
Thanks,
Pam Chace

Joel Weiss

Re: Towing capacity
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 01:41:00 AM »
Your towing capacity is the lesser of: (1) the difference between the MH's rated GCVWR and its actual GVW (actual weight weighed), or (2) the hitch rating.  I'm sure a Monterey owner will speak up, but since my 2000 Thunder has a 5,000 tow rating due to its hitch I would suspect yours is no higher.  You can beef up the hitch to handle more weight but that doesn't change the GCVWR for your MH.  That's not to say that there aren't people out there towing a lot more than the coaches are rated at, but that's something you have to decide on your own.

Gerald Farris

Re: Towing capacity
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 03:34:57 AM »
Pam,
The hitch on a 1999 Monterey is rated at 5,000 pounds. I would not recommend exceeding that weight without reinforcing the hitch, because I have seen several of them crack to the point that they were dangerous.

The suspension will handle all of the weight that you can add to it. However, the brakes will need supplemental brakes on the vehicle that you are towing to stay within a safe braking distance.

The last concern is the engine and cooling system. The 3126 engine should be able to handle the increased load under almost any condition as long as you are not in a big hurry. However, the cooling system on most 3126 equipped coaches is not oversized. So under a heavy load like a steep grade, you will need to down shift the transmission to keep the engine RPMs around 2000 or a little higher to provide adequate cooling.

Gerald