Author Topic: Air Leveling  (Read 3942 times)

Gary Winzenburger

Air Leveling
« on: June 19, 2013, 02:03:02 AM »
Another question regarding air leveling. Does it damage, or strain any part of the air leveling system to keep the coach level for prolonged periods of time, ie a week or month, etc? I guess I'm lazy in needing to crawl under the four corners to place the landing pads for the jacks, but there's nothing in the manual, that I can find to recommend one over the other. Thanks for your input.

Edward Buker

Re: Air Leveling
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:48:07 AM »
Using the air leveling might work the compressor several times a day but the system is gentle on the coach and other than some compressor wear should be fine. The compressors used in these systems are not all that expensive so that would be a minor issue if you wore one out. It is also good to exercise the hydraulic jack system if you are going to be stationary for months. Keeping things exercised lets you know that the systems are still working and reduces the chance of things failing due to the issues caused by inactivity. No wrong way to go here, just preferences from my viewpoint. If your spot is level another option might be to dump the air and let the coach just sit without powering either leveling system.

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 03:47:42 AM »
Last year we stayed automatic air-leveled in one spot for 6 weeks with no air problems.  The only "stress" is as Ed mentions, and it's not enough to fret about.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 03:58:55 AM »
Gary,
There is no problem with air leveling your coach for an extended period of time. I virtually never use the jacks on my Marquis. The jacks and the kitchen slide use the same hydraulic system, so most of the system is exercised on a regular basis with slide usage.

Gerald  

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 04:34:11 PM »
Gary on our rig we use the air even when in storage about the only time I use the jacks is if we plan a 2-8 week stay and are living in the rig. We did replace the air compressor a couple of years ago to the Viair 380 but the reason for the change was pump failure due to road dirt from the wheels the old pump had a poor design with an open field armature.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 11:18:03 PM »
Thanks for your opinions. I'm glad I don't have to start doing push-ups right away, but we agree with Jerry that the couch feels more secure when the jacks are down and we're living it.