Author Topic: Windshield Wiper  (Read 4413 times)

Dick Simonis

Windshield Wiper
« on: June 20, 2013, 01:14:48 AM »
Crappy day of travel today from Idaho Falls to Caldwell, ID and I had my very first driving experience is substantial rain and wind.  Wouldn't you know it, the blades life off the windshield and I had a rather difficult time.  I did have new wiper blades installed at BCS last year and they work OK when we're not moving but not so good at speed and worse when there is wind involved.  At one point they didn't even touch the windshield.

Any thoughts about what the fix would be?

Thanks.

Dick

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Windshield Wiper
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 02:30:49 AM »
I had the same thing happen coming across SD on the way to Gillette. I pulled over and got out and tightened the nut on the middle of the outside of the blade. Solved the problem.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gary Winzenburger

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 03:09:26 AM »
Related to this, I think, is a problem I've had with the seemingly short travel of the blades. Is there a way to lengthen it? Barely travels to the center of the windshield and goes back to the center. So far, this hasn't been a huge problem, but I haven't driven our 1997 Marquis in heavy downpours.

Richard Cooper

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 05:50:56 PM »
Adjusting the nut or screw on the wiper arm is the way to change the pressure of the blade on the windshield.  My passenger side one was working perfectly, but the driver's side was not.  It would not adjust the pressure on the windshield.  My service center in Atlanta replaced the entire arm and now it work fairly good.  But, these wipers are not real effective in a pouring rain.  What will drive me up the wall is for it to screech across the windshield.  You can have too much pressure or not enough.  The problem is not the blade if you've replaced them with the right sized blades.  Ask for new wiper arms and see if that does the trick.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 01:14:18 AM »
Quote from: Dick Simonis
Any thoughts about what the fix would be?
Next time you're at a truck stop look for a snap on spring in the windshield wiper section.  I've never seen them anywhere else.  Some Beavers have better wipers than others, mine are not so good.  But the spring booster makes mine work well.  

It looks like this, only a little larger: