Author Topic: How to turn off the awning motion sensor  (Read 8870 times)

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
How to turn off the awning motion sensor
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:31:55 AM »
We are looking to add a screen room onto the Girard patio awning. Does anybody know how to disable the motion sensor?  Is there some type of switch to turn it off?
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: How to turn off the awning motion sensor
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 05:14:02 AM »
I think you should check with Girard about adding a screen room.  I seriously doubt that the arms will support the additional weight.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 01:39:58 PM »
That is definitely a consideration however the new carefree system has addtioanal aluminum supports
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »
The easy way to disable the wind sensor is to just put a plastic bag over it, however that is something that can be very expensive if you get high winds because the awning arms will break. I would never recommend supporting a screen room from a Girard awning or disabling the wind sensor.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 04:38:44 PM »
John,

You could install a switch in the AC line that feeds the control unit so that the unit is electrically dead. I know the unit does not operate without the Inverter on when we are not tied to shore power so AC is required. If you did that you still have support issues, wind issues, and rain weight if the awning sags enough not to drain. These units are not that versatile and adaptable. One could envision support arms to the ground for each of the awning arms but that still only helps with some of the problems. When a storm comes up there is no quick fix to bring in an awning with all "the stuff" on it back in.

I would think that there are some well engineered stand alone rooms that knock down into a kit that would be safer and stronger for longer term stays.  They to have to be well anchored with ground screws which is not always an easy thing to do depending on your site and the ground material. No really good answer here.

If you are really sure that this is something that is a must have you probably should look at another awning design made with a room kit adaption and see what it would take to change out the awning. BCS and a few others should have enough sidewall/structure knowledge to know what could work. It will probably never look as good as the Girrard install but looks aren't everything....

Later Ed

Richard Cooper

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 05:16:53 AM »
I sometimes am envious of other people's awnings which stay out in wind and rain --- not high winds, but don't collect rain water.  And they can slip in a sun screen and tie it to the ground.  

What's so great about the Girrard system anyway?  Seems the arms are too sensitive to being damaged.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »
Richard,
There are a lot of things that are great about the Girard awning. That is the reason that it is so extensively used on high end coaches. The manual awning that you see tied down is more trouble to deploy and retract and they are vulnerable to wind damage even when tied down. Also they are prone to blow out or parachute in high winds when traveling.

I was in a RV park in central Texas when a thunder storm came through and there were several of the awnings that you are referring to that were damaged and one of those was tied down. The tie downs did not fail but the awning tore loose at the coach with extensive damage.

Also if you have ever walked into one of the lower brace arms that are used on those awnings you will learn why I would not have one. I love my Girard automatic awning.

Gerald

Richard Cooper

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 08:03:45 PM »
You make good points ---- as always.   8)

Sean Donohue

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 01:55:55 AM »
I agree with Gerald, same reasons. On our model there is a switch to disable the auto retract which I use while in or near the RV because I fine that sometimes it retracts in even a light wind. I make sure if I leave the RV or if the forecast calls for afternoon gusts to have it on.