Author Topic: Silicone ?  (Read 3813 times)

neil omalley

Silicone ?
« on: June 26, 2013, 07:50:26 PM »
I've got to caulk a leak around my forward clearance light(s). So...Silicone!  How come we hate it (as indicated on the forum pages)? What to use instead.  To silicone or not silicone ... that is the question!! :)

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
Re: Silicone ?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 09:30:41 PM »
[size=14][/size]Neil...After reading several articles about what sealants do or don't do I believe most would consider using Lexel purchased from ACE Hardware stores.  Most indicate that Lexel has qualities that other sealants do not have.  I haven't used it yet but will when I decide to reseal the big awning to keep water from entering the coach.
Mandy
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 10:46:53 PM »
Lowe's now carries Lexel, but in a larger standard caulking gun size.  True Value Stores now carries the smaller size like Ace does, and I've seen it at non-chain hardware stores lately as well.  So it must be getting a reputation.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 07:57:07 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 11:47:42 PM »
One of the reputed problems with using silicone is that once it touche paint, that area can never be repainted as new paint will just peel off.

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 04:37:23 AM »
Lexel does seem to have superior adhesion to surfaces over time. I found that you have to work a bit faster due to less working time with Lexel. I also think it is a bit thicker coming out of the tube. You may want to work with a bead in an inconspicuous place for your trial run until you get used to it. It is not too difficult to work, with just different for us silicone users.

Later Ed

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 05:38:53 PM »
I used Lexel to re caulk the clearance lights on my motor home and found it very difficult to use.  The finished job does not look nearly as nice as with GE seal.  Be sure to try it on something first to see if you
Iike the way it goes on.

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 06:41:55 PM »
I think taping the edges and pulling the tape quickly after Lexol application would be the best technique. Just be sure and give it a practice try elsewhere.

Later Ed