Author Topic: dash AC servicing  (Read 5204 times)

Sean Donohue

dash AC servicing
« on: July 01, 2012, 10:02:01 PM »
The Front Dash AC seems a bit warm, If I had to guess, I would say the Duct Temp is about 70. I found AC recharge kit at Wally World that connects to the system and has a gage to see the system pressure. If the pressure is low, simple add freon with a press of the nozzle. While it is not a draw down and recharge process, could be a solution until I can get off the road for service. Has anyone used this for either cars ot RVs?

If so, What is the operating pressure for A 2008 Contessa? I am thinking there is a different pressure due to the lenghth of the freon lines that run all the way to the back.

Frank Bannert

Re: dash AC servicing
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 08:54:53 PM »
Yes, I just used this type of process. What you have is a leak detector with very little freon. It is green when putting it in. At least mine was. My dash air would not cool at all and we took a 600 mile trip and were cool all the way. You will also need some 134A refrigerant and a guage to see how low your system is . THESE CAN BE PURCHASED AT WALMART OR AUTO PARTS STORE. These guage only will fit on one side ussually the smallest. You just screw the can on to the guage as directed and if you system is not in the blue area it is low on freon. Turn the can upside down and shake well and put some in slowly don't open it all the way. You should have the a/c compressor on high fan also. If you have a bad leak you will see where the green or if it is a small leak you will need a black light to find it.
DO NOT OVERFILL. THE SYSTEM ONLY HOLDS 3 CANS[PINTS] OR WHATEVER.

Steve Jewell

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:01:08 AM »
All Freon  is effected by temperature. Here is a link to a automotive 134a temperature pressure chart.                                                        http://idqusa.com/faqs/r-134a-system-pressurechart/ .    All automotive 134a systems operate at the same pressure. Make sure there is enough pressure in system to engage AC compressor clutch. If it does not engage you should pull a vacuum on it first. Do not over fill system keep low side pressure on the low side of the chart. Large fitting is low side - Small fitting is high side

Steve

George H. Wall

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
Does anyone know where the LOW PRESSURE port is on a 2002 Patriot?  Henry

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 03:26:56 PM »
Marty and I fixed mine.  The local auto parts stores had several brands all made by Interdynamics.  One, was a leak stopper.  The others were R-134a and advertised they had "a little" leak stopper.  It was available in individual cans and a couple had a single gauge attached as a "kit".  The face of the gauges had a dial that rotated and was to be set for current ambient pressure.  With the dial set, it provide a green target range for pressure.

The one we used can be seen here:  http://idqusa.com/product/acp-100/ where there is a video showing how to do it.

The port for my 2004 Monterey was accessible by extending the genset and looking under the front cap.  It was a few inches from dead center toward the passenger side and a couple inches up from the lip of the genset opening.  It helped to have the extra long hose that came with the A/C Pro 100 can.  

Marty and I did the service a month ago.  Last week I drove from Tacoma to Couer d' Alene and back in hot weather and the A/C worked well.