Author Topic: step out light  (Read 5426 times)

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
step out light
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:40:51 PM »
I have a question about a warning light (Step Out) I am getting a warning but the step seems to operate fine?
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: step out light
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 07:26:23 PM »
My experience is that the light will show on the dash if you have the static setting for the step engaged. In either case, when you start the engine, the step will retract, no matter the setting.

I believe its just a reminder.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 11:36:49 PM »
Thanks Stan, I gave Sean a call at BCS, it appears that I have lost the magnet side of the sensor
this is a problem that come up now and then I may need to order a new sensor set but I will check in my garage to see if it came off during my start up.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 06:56:25 AM »
There is a magnet that closes a circuit which shuts the light off when the step is retracted.  Many times the wires get corroded and a signal can no longer be sent or the circuit closed and other times the magnet quits working or gets misaligned.  I just had to replace the coach end because mine would not close the circuit.  We checked it by using another magnet and then looked to see if the light went out.  No such luck, so had to find a new magnet.  Luckily I was in Bend and was able to locate one of the magnets.  It was hard to find and finally found one at Bend RV Repair.  
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 04:21:12 AM »
Hi Roy, yes this is out issue, but with our rig the magnet is missing.  Bummer I am down in Centrailia, WA on a golf outing, and got under the rig yesterday to check the magnet that Sean (BCS) told me to check.  It's gone.  I plan to check the garage floor on my return home to see if its around.  Sean told me to glue it into place if I can find it.  If not. I will need to buy a new set(not step assembly)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 04:44:19 AM by 14 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 10:32:03 AM »
This appears to be a pretty common problem.  Mine, 05 Monterey, is sporadic. They get dirt annd moisture behind them and they fall off. This is not a spevific Beaver part and you should be able to get them at any RV parts store. This is the same setup used on cheaper coaches and travel trailers to cause the steps to retract.

Dennis

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 11:53:35 PM »
The problem is now fixed, it was a magnet that had come loose, I was lucky and found the magnet on the garage floor on my return home. I spoke to Sean at Beaver Coach Sales in Bend, he explained that he had seen this happen a few times The step has a warning light that will illuminate in the front dash that is a warning that the step is out the light normally will go out once the steps retract. In our rig the light was staying on even with the step fully retracted.  A small magnet is used to open and close the circuit allowing the light to come on or off. The Magnet is mounted to the back of the top step with a section of double backed tape, I was lucky to find the magnet so I cleaned the area well also sanding the area after installing a new section of tape onto the magnet then installing it on the top step flange the problem was solved.
If you loose the magnet the story is that you have to buy a new assembly I didn't ask the parts folks about a price but I am pretty sure they are very proud of this .25 cent piece of plastic.

Thanks for the input Stan, Roy, and Dennis.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 02:51:36 AM »
I just replaced the magnet and switch on my 2005 Monterey. Got them at Campig World for $15.00. Easy job. Just make sure the mounting surface is clean and you align both pieces.