Author Topic: Black Tank Valve Connetor 2?'s  (Read 6597 times)

Brent Hohlweg

Black Tank Valve Connetor 2?'s
« on: July 20, 2013, 10:08:52 PM »
Hi all,

Just trying to hookup this Valterra 90degree elbow http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-4110-90°-RV-Hydroflush/dp/B002N5J8CQ

Due to the position of the hole in the base of the Beaver Coach to pass sewer pipe through it will not fit (see photo for parts/pic).

Questions:

1. Wondering what everyone uses to hook their sewer hose up to their coach. Are you doing what I do in the pic (which seems to put a lot of pressure on the sewer hose and will likely cause it to break with use), or are you using elbows and extenders to make a better connection pass through this hole in the base of the Beaver?

2. Due that position of the hole, how can I get this Valterra 90degree elbow to work in the pic (need to really reverse spray and clean out the black valve area - it keeps sticking due to 9yrs of neglect - we just took possession of the coach).

Cheers Brent
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 10:09:13 PM by 18682 »

Brent Hohlweg

Re: Black Tank Valve Connetor 2?'s
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 10:15:27 PM »
The photo for reference:

steve zannella

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 11:04:57 PM »
Hi Brent

I have the same coach as you and I have not been able to attach any 45 or 90 degree elbow without forcibly bending the tank connector.
i had a service man who specializes in tank cleaning get an elbow on the fitting so he could water jet the tanks an even his equipment strained the tak fittings.
What''s needed is about a 1 1/2 inch bayonet extender which I haven't found yet. I've also thought about making an extender but the thought of cutting off the existing bayonet tabs on the tank plumbing and making a slip joint that may not work makes me pause. I've taken the stainless panel off when changing the tank valves but lost interest in remaking the plumbing because of all the work involved.

its A real pain in the you know what just changing the valves.

Edie and Marty Hochberg

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 01:08:54 AM »
Brent, and others

I had the same problem connecting a 90 degree ell to my sewer connection.  I presumed it was sloppy workmanship on my coach so I did not think to inform others of what I had done.  The fix turned out to be an easy modification to a 90 degree ell, basically changing it to a 98 degree ell.

All I did was cut nearly through a standard 90 degree connector.  Then I spread the connector so that it made an angle larger than 90 degrees and clamped it so the angle did not change (actually, I just wedged an appropriately sized stone in place).  Just make sure that you change the angle enough to gain the clearance you need.  Then simply fill the gap with a filled or structural epoxy.  Do a little at a time, making sure it does not run into the interior of the fitting, Keep the inside of the fitting as smooth as possible (I masked off the inside of the modified connector with blue painters tape, and then applied the epoxy in small batches).

The connector you see in the photo has been in regular use for over two years (I'm a full timer) without any evidence of degradation.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 02:03:33 AM »
I had the same issue until finally finding an elbow last year at Camping World that had just the right configuration.  I need to get to the coach to get you the info and a photo, so stay tuned.

Mine doesn't back flush, but your valve sounds like it needs cleaning and lube as the real fix.  Then use your SaniFlush each dump and coconut or other valve lube additive regularly in the loo.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:30:22 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Jae

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 02:37:29 AM »
Here is a link to what I use.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006OQ3NMQ

So far it is working well

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 06:22:12 AM »
I think this is the one I found.  It has slightly different dimensions than most that are from Valterra, and lines up right with the outlet and the hole in the floor, at least on my coach.  It also swivels for microadjustments and makes it easy to put the cap on its bayonet, then although it hits the grey water valve handle, it swivels up out of the way just enough for screwing down the floor plug for travel (I leave the elbow in place 24/7).

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/rhinoflex-clear-swivel-fittings-90-fitting/59253

I'm glad you broached the subject, Brent, because I suspect there are many of us with fitting configurations that are less than perfect.  Perhaps this thread will help more than a few owners.  I know, like you, I struggled to stress the hose enough to hook the bayonet up;  it was a real pain, and I could never figure why they engineered the floor port and valve terminus the way they did.  Before I ran across this elbow, I'd considered doing what Marty ultimately did.

Click on the photo for a larger version.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:32:16 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Brent Hohlweg

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 04:32:47 AM »
Hello all,

Fantastic info once again!

I'll buy the RhinoFlex 90degree in the link above and report back here if it works well on our 2004 Beaver Marquis :-)

PS: Does Anyone have any recommendations on what products to buy when Joel mentions adding "coconut or valve lube additive regularly to the loo". I've never done than and I bet it would help these sticking valve gates.

Cheers Brent

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 06:32:28 AM »
Coconut based valve lubricant is made by Thetford or Camco.  But you may have to put it in an empty tank with the coach air leveled to be low on the port side (driver's side), so when added to the tank via the toilet it will flow right to the valve, used per bottle directions.  Put some down a sink trap and add water as directed to flow to the grey tank valve.  Then while connected to RV park sewer, work the valves open and closed to get the lube into the gate mechanism and seals.  Some spray silicone worked into the handle shafts may help also.  Sometimes though, the valve seals are too far gone or gunk is stuck in the gate mechanism such that disassembly and new seals or valve is the best fix.

There's no guarantee that the Rhinoflex will work for you, but if it fits your configuration and aligns as good as mine does, it will solve the problem well.  I'm not sure why the factory placed the floor port just "out of whack" with the valve outlet;  guess they never had to actually hook up a hose and bayonet.

One other thing to note:  when the factory installed the tanks, they used a hole saw on them to make holes for the valves.  They often left the resulting plastic cut-out disk inside the tank, if it didn't come out on the end of the saw.  Then poor owners (like me) wonder why, some day not long after purchase, they can't get much flow out of their valves.  One weekend while parked at BCS awaiting a Monday morning service, I took the time to insert an adroitly bent coathanger up into the black tank via the valve, and wah-lah, out came the confounded black disk that had been intermittently blocking the outlet for months.  I'd expected to find a washcloth or something that some kid had flushed down the toilet (Loo in England) while the coach was at an RV show before we bought it.  Not.  Keep this notion in mind should your system start draining slowly.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:51:43 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat