Author Topic: IDENTIFYING TYPE OF AXEL FOR ALIGNMENT  (Read 5278 times)

LEAH DRAPER

IDENTIFYING TYPE OF AXEL FOR ALIGNMENT
« on: July 20, 2013, 04:05:06 PM »
I want to have the alignment checked on my  2008 38' Beaver Contessa and was asked whether I had a fixed axel or independent front axel.  I have NO Clue.  Does anyone know?  It determines where I take the coach for service.  Also, is it necessary to have both front and back alignment done or just the front?  I am getting some outside front right tire wear on my GoodYear 670 tires and want to hopefully correct it.

Any info or help people??

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: IDENTIFYING TYPE OF AXEL FOR ALIGNMENT
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 04:34:28 PM »
Leah,
Most large RVs and buses have fixed front axles. 99.9% sure that's what you have. Rear axles can go out of alignment but nowhere as often as front. Since your coach is 5+ years old, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have it checked.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Robert Mathis

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 06:03:21 PM »
Leah,
It's easy to check to see what type of axel you have. Just look under the caoch, if it has a solid steel axle running from side to side, it is fixed. Make sure you take it to a shop(like Josam) that can check and align front and rear axles. I had a serious problem with wear on the driver's side steer tire and found it was caused by the tag axle being out of alignment. The tech who worked on my rig found the drive and tag axles both out. He told me that the majority of motorhomes he works on that have alignment problems have drive or tag axles out of alignment. Apparently, the chassis manufacturers buy the axles from suppliers, weld them to their suspension systems and they get deformed by the heat.

Sean Donohue

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 06:44:53 PM »
Leah,

First I suggest contacting Gerald via PM about this. He was very helpful when I was looking at tires.

Second read this thread, I think it describes the issue you are having with the wear. It is called rivering or cupping. I had the same front right wear on our rig and had the front tires rotated to the tag. The tire tech at Les Schwab told me it was typical Goodyear wear. Then had the same again problem and in my research found this and similar threads. When our drive tires started showing the wear pattern, I replaced 6 of the 8 tires and rotated the best to the tag. So we have new rubber on the front and drive but not the tag. I know you do not have a tag axle, so rotating to the drive tires is not something I would recommend doing unless the tread is in really good shape.

We now have about 4000 miles since on the new non Goodyear tires and we are not showing any cupping or rivering. I like my new tires but am not comfortable recommending tires to you. I will just say do your research and talk to Gerald.

I am not going to say you do not have a alignment issue, but I will suggest you have typical Goodyear wear; Front Right cupping.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/goodyear-g670-rv-tire-discontinued-51459-2.html
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:35:10 PM by 6682 »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 07:05:55 PM »
Leah,
One other observation, if the shop you talked to didn't know if you had a fixed axle or not, assuming they knew what coach you have, I'd avoid them.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 07:21:02 PM »
Leah,
Beaver has never made a diesel pusher with an independent front suspension. Therefore your coach has a solid axle (fixed) front suspension.

Gerald

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 09:14:06 PM »
Thanks guys I didn't know for sure when I was asked on a phone call so thats why the question.  Haven't been unable to get under the rig, due to some back problems of late.  Was also unsure whether to be concerned about the rear axel also.  I don't have a "tag" so that wasn't a concern.  I didn't really want to hear it was a goodyear tire issue, but perhaps thats part of the problem also.  I have heard that was a problem, but thought maybe it was just "salesman talk.  Interestingly, I only seem to be seeing the outside wear on the right side, not both sides.  It isn't cupping so much as it is just outside right wear.  
Thats why I thought of alignment issues.