Author Topic: Cleaning Clear Bra  (Read 6046 times)

Dick Simonis

Cleaning Clear Bra
« on: July 21, 2013, 05:40:59 PM »
All of a sudden the clear bra on the front has develop streaks that won't come off with normal washing.  They are on the front cap above the windshield as well as the whole front under it.  The look like typical water streaks except for the top which is more black.

Any thoughts about what might have happened and how to clean it.  I've very concerned that whatever happened is actually in the polymer.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Dick

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Cleaning Clear Bra
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 10:13:34 PM »
Dick,

A lot of folks with this clear bra are experiencing the same problem....  Only fix is to remove the clear bra and repaint.  Some have tried with little success in removing without issues or damage to the paint finish.  I only know one person that has been able to get all the clear bra material off without damage to the under surface.  Just did mine last November and it took over 80 hours of labor to remove.  Needless to say, I did not put any clear bra material back.

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 10:48:05 PM »
Hi Dick:
I would suggest trying a good quality automotive or marine wax/cleaner/polish first. The 3M material can be treated like paint and regular polishing can keep it looking good.  Doesn't hurt to give it a try as it is certainly less expensive than replacing/re-painting.
Just a thought,
Dwight
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 11:17:53 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll try a good cleaning/polish and see what happens.  This is very depressing and it happened so quickly.  Several weeks ago I gave it a good wash and it was fine, now yesterday after washing it's looks pretty bad.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:38:43 PM »
The plastic is relatively soft, and in warm weather or direct sunlight, it is especially vulnerable.  Microgrit can then leave almost invisible scratches in the material when a mitt or brush is used.  

However your description implies a color change, including the section above the windshield, which as far as any I've seen does not have plastic film over it - since you describe the change as different above than below, I would surmise there is no film above.  It may be that you got into some tree sap that smears more than it comes off, or you used a solvent during cleaning that had an effect on the film.  I've used some products that leave a difficult-to-remove oil-like residue, visible more at certain angles than others.

Wash in cool conditions, out of direct sun, and use only mild soaps approved for automotive finishes.  Most other common household detergents can be harmful, especially to older fiberglass which it can oxidize and leave a film on.  If your paint is automotive over fiberglass, it is less susceptible, but detergent should still not be used.  Monaco approves only Dawn, though other automotive-dedicated products work.

When on long trips, I apply 303 Aerospace Protectant or Thetford Protect and Shine UV inhibiting product to the front cap and mirrors every couple of weeks.  It fends off solar deterioration of film and paint, and helps bugs rinse off easier, especially the Thetford product.  But for ease of final polish, apply them morning or evening to a relatively cool surface, and out of the sun.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:49:32 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Orman Claxton

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 05:07:36 AM »
I just had my 3M film  replaced, Installer said use only water to remove bugs, Some films will not allow bugs to stick,(So he said)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 06:24:17 AM »
Just water won't remove bugs unless you clean each evening.  A coat of protectant can only help, and most bugs then rinse off daily with hose pressure or minimal handwork.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 03:40:56 PM »
Joel, ours does have the 3M above the windshield.  The streaks look like rivulets from water running off the roof but at least they are not real obvious unless one is close.

Omar, who replaced yours' and was it difficult for a professional?  According to 3M one just loosens a corner, pull straight out, and viola off it comes.

Thanks
Dick

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 05:56:28 PM »
Dick,

In my recollection most RV jobs do not end with a "Voila"..... We can hope for Voila but most of the time other terms seem to pass my lips.

I think paint and clearcoat adhesion which can vary on fiberglass and therefor that paint finish may or may not be damaged. On cars with a primed metal substrate and baked/cured  finish I think the Voila is more predictable.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:45:15 PM by 910 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 09:25:24 PM »
Yup, when the factory put on the film they likely didn't wait the minimal 30 days for the paint to properly cure first.  The less cured the paint, the more likely the film will anneal to it, and the less likely that some day film removal will be a Voila moment.  

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat