Author Topic: Update TV  (Read 7135 times)

Richard Rollnick

Update TV
« on: July 21, 2013, 08:40:21 PM »
We have a 2003 Monterey and want to update to a larger TV up front. Sure would appreciate anyone that has done this to contact us and let us know how it was done. It seems like it would be fairly easy but our biggest concern is making sure that it is secured going down the road. Many thanks, Richard

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Update TV
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »
There have been many threads in this Forum regarding such a project, Richard, especially since the revolution in TVs in the past 5 years.  Usually it requires rebuilding the Beaver cabinetry, so though some owners with woodworking capabilities have done it themselves, most go to Bend, Oregon, and let one of the experts there tackle the job.  Some of the original Beaver factory cabinetmakers are still there and no one else is as suited to the task.

You can click the "Search" tab at the top of this page to look for more discussions on TV retrofits, and many supply photos.  You might, though, have to try several different word combinations in the Search field to glean a good assortment of relevant threads.

Joel
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:50:43 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Brent Hohlweg

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:36:02 AM »
Hi Richard,

I'm right in the middle of updating my coach. I have a very tech background, so feel free to connect with me to discuss. I'll be posting pics of my project once done in a month or so :-)

Cheers Brent

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »
Richard, if you have the same configuration as our 2000, it's a pretty simple change.  I used a 32" edge lit Scepter but other would work just as well I'm sure.  I scoured every available 32" on the market looking for ones that had the least width in order to have it fit between the cabinet doors when stowed.  The articulating mount allows a variety of viewing position but now I just pull it out until it's about even with the back of the drivers seat.  The viewing angle is perfect and a slight push sends it back home when not in use.

It's secured in place using screen latches attached to the bottom of the frame...doesn't move underway.

Good luck with your project and it will be rewarding.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 12:55:12 AM »
Try if you can installing a Samsung. We replaced our Sharp with Samsung in December. Old was 32" now 37". Innovative Designs out of Coburg, OR. recommends Samsung. One reason is the mounting plate on the back is built to take the abuse our rubber riding homes give us at times. They told me they have a display of cracked mountings from various flat screen TV's. We had them install the RF Mogul satellite system while in Gillette.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 07:40:52 PM »
I installed a "Smart LCD" recently and posted some pics here somewhere. It has built in WiFi capability so it eliminates the Roku box and gives me the capability to access Netflix, Hulu, movie channels, Pay per view etc. Also let's you surf the internet (requires a WiFi signal). It fit perfectly where the old Sony was and found an articulating arm that works great too.I built a new frame that screws down over the bezel of the display. Good Luck!