Author Topic: MAGNUM INVERTER RESET/and REMOTE  (Read 7336 times)

LEAH DRAPER

MAGNUM INVERTER RESET/and REMOTE
« on: July 22, 2013, 06:25:51 PM »
Have encountered another issue guys, need help please.

Although I have the new TRC 50A portable surge protector, I possibly could have experienced some lightening issues.  I discovered that the red light was blinking on it, so I check the breakers in the bathroom cabinet.  All seemed in the proper position, but reset it just in case.  I then reset the breaker for my 50 A line from the house.  After the TRC came backup and it appeared that the AC was okay on the TRC surge protector, I checked the remote screen for the magnum inside the coach and it still remains dark.  I checked the manual (after all else fails, check the manual right) it suggested a reset of the remote by  holding down the "select switch", still no lighted remote.  In checking the status light on the inverter box in the bay, I see a "green blinking light".  
From what I am reading in the trouble shooting guide, it suggests a reset  of the inverter.  

My questions are:
Do I need to disconnect the 50A power cord to do this?
Do need to turn off any other feeds to the coach prior?

I sure as H... don't want to cause any other problems to the coach or myself.  
Electricity scares the hell out of me!

Edward Buker

Re: MAGNUM INVERTER RESET/and REMOTE
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 06:33:11 PM »
Most inverters can be reset by disconnecting the 120V power feed to the coach and then turning off the house battery switch for 30 seconds. Then you turn it back on, house battery switch first, and then the 120V feed to the coach. Basically you have to cut all sources of power to the inverter for 30 seconds.

Later Ed

Mike.Way

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 06:36:38 PM »
On my Magnum, there is a reset switch on the side; left side looking at the inverter right side up.  YMMV but there should be a reset/breaker switch on the inverter.

Mike

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
Leah,

I just installed my Magnum and was told to turn off and on three times all the breakers that are on inverted power.  Hope this works for you.  If not contact Magnum.  They are quite helpful.

Dennis

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 03:24:08 PM »

An update on my problem....

I've successfully gotten the inverter reset, however the remote mounted in the panel in the hallway/bathroom is still not functioning.  I have contacted Magnum and told how to check for a bad four wire telephone cable with J14 connectors.  If that doesn't enable the remote then I probably have a damaged remote and it need to either be fixed or replaced.  About a year after I purchased the coach I had the same problem and I think it was fixed  (not replaced) under warranty.  
What concerns me is that if the cable turns out to be defective or damaged, how does a new cable get pulled up from the inverter to an inside wall with hardly any access space?  I've encountered a problem with mice and am sure hope they haven't chewed on the cable and caused the problem.

Thoughts anyone??

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »
Ahhhh, RATS!!

If the cable from the inverter to the remote is bad, then can't the old cable be used to pull through a new cable?

Or, pull through a string which can be used later to pull through a cable.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Dick Simonis

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 04:09:29 PM »
Any chance it's just a connector or a break near a connector.  Good luck.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 05:08:58 PM »
The problem that arises when trying to pull a new wire through a wall using the old wire lies in the way that a lot of wires are secured into a harness or bundle with nylon wire ties as they are routed through the walls. These wire ties cause a restriction when the wire is pulled especially at or near corners, and the wire can break or the new and old wires can pull apart inside the wall as the wire is being pulled.

Gerald

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 05:46:04 PM »
There's always a catch to any logical solution.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »
Let's hope it is just a connector.  Otherwise, Gerald is right on.  These cables are either stapled or tied to a bundle.  Maybe you will get lucky with a pull.  You might have to consider moving the control unit somewhere where you can get a cable to it.

Dennis

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 04:29:09 AM »
You may want to try a temporary cable out the bay and through the door to see if it changes anything.  If no change, why route a new cable?

Larry